Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel additives

847 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SparkyF250 
#1 ·
I'm new to diesel's. Just bought my first one, seems to be a lot more to these guys than I'm use to but I knew that walking into it.

Anybody have some good practices on fuel fill ups. I usually will run my tank close to empty and then fill her up.

Any thoughts and suggestions about additives or best practices?

Also does anyone know if there is a thread that speaks to maintenance schedules on 6's with 170k on it?

Thanks fellas!

#2 ·
I usually run mine to about 1/4 tank, then fill her up. I don't like letting her get below that, and I would add the additive before I filled her. As to the additive, everyone has their choice , mostly also based on budget. I usually get my additive from Walmart where I found it to be priced better.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Can you help me understand what the additive would be and why it is beneficial?

#4 ·
I try to keep my tank full in the winter to limit condensation. I use Opti-lube XPD or Stanadyne, there's other good ones too, just make sure it's a demulsifier so the water will get trapped in the separator and not pass through the filters. Drain you separator once a month and put new Ford fuel filter in every other oil change and you should be good.
The demulsifier & a regular separator drain interval is critical on a common rail fuel system like a 6.4 or 6.7, they are expensive and they do not like water. There are enough horror stories of 6.7s with warranty denied for contaminated fuel that makes me content with my HEUI injection systems

Here's some good reading for your 6.0 http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.