2003 PSD 6.0L with 160,000+ miles. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 PSD 6.0L with 160,000+ miles.

I am looking at a 2003 F-350 PSD 6.0 to buy. I have read all of the horry stories and what not. I am just wondering if the vehicle has over 160,000 miles on it. Then would all of the kinks be worked out of it and the vehicle be a good vehicle? What if it was a 2005 with more than 200,000 miles on it. I was told from the diesel mechanic that worked at the car lot where I am buying the truck from that if they had that many miles on them then the truck should be good to go. But like I said that is coming from the car lot's diesel mechanic. Any others out there with any experience. This will be my first diesel truck and I dont want something that is going to suck. Any info would help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sooner or later, everything wears out. You could get half a million or more miles out of some diesels, but only 200,000 from others.

I guess by not being totaled out, scrapped for parts, or rebuilt/replaced, you could say it has a good track record, but it's getting near time for some accessory component to fail, and it could be $50 fix up to $4000 or more. Bottom line is no one can answer your question. It could blow a set of injectors at 160,001 miles, or be trouble-free for another 100,000.

That being said, if the price is right, the price is right. Personally, I would have to know every detail of the truck's life, or it would not replace my daily driver until I put some mileage on it personally.

My brother had a '93 Chevy 1500 Z71 with over 280,000 miles on it. He is a mechanic, who also drag races on his own time...forever working on cars. He knows more about cars than I ever will. When he traded it in on his '05 F450, the Chevy was still running strong. This is an example of what can be accomplished if a person knows how to maintain a vehicle properly.

When I bought my '05, it had 43,000 miles on it. I will bet my house that the original owner NEVER changed the fuel filter. It was practically dissolved when I pulled it out. My head gasket went at 60,000-something miles, and I suspect the orig. owner's lack of care had a lot to do with it.

Last edited by 05KingRanchDually; 11-09-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my 03 6.0 has 151000 on the clock and runs GREAT and not problem!!!!! proper maintenance is the key to the 6.0s get an oasis report just to make sure. Oh one more thing you will love the whistle from the turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.