bad night...need some advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to strokenit Send a message via MSN to strokenit
bad night...need some advice

So on thursday I went to the local shop and had my new aluminum rims w/37's installed on my truck and my old rims and 35's taken off. I came home, loaded up and headed for the lake to meet my uncle for a weekend of fishing in TN. All is fine, come friday after fishing that morning we had to go pick up his new battery for his boat he ordered, a few more errands, and were on our way back to the lake to fish. Heres where it gets good...I start to feel some bumping/weird noise. truck is running great and handling great as well. Well...until my truck hits the pavement and I watch my 37 pass my truck at 60mph. i lost all 8 lugs, my driver front wheel came off, crossed traffic, ran up the opposite lane then crossed back across both lanes, down the hill, jumped a fence and ended up at the back of a field. i pulled over and happened to see it the tire go down the hill. it ended up about a half mile from the truck in that field. i just thank the Good Lord it didnt hit somebody. so now im stuck on the side of the road and have to find my tire in the dark and no flashlight. my dust shield is toast, my rotor had a good inch ground off the bottom so it was flat. broke a stud, and bore all my lug wholes on my 1 day old rim. they are now threaded and the lug nuts try to go inside of them. all the other lugs my uncle tightened for me as he was taking 2 from each wheel so we could put my wheel back on. 1/4 turn and you could unloosen them by hand. they were all tightened from 1 complete turn +. so is this expense out of my pocket to buy a new wheel, rotor, brakes, dust shield, lug nuts etc? or should the shop be held liable? and is there anything else i should have checked that could have been damaged? its a 96 f250 by the way. i drove it home today, my uncle followed me and it my wheel stayed on, but i was scared the whole way. any advice. and sorry the story is so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
I would say the shop should be held liable. they installed them, and usually warrant the install from any defects, Unless they told you to come back and have a retorque at a certain milage. if you passed that mileage, and didnt come back then they will surely pass the cost on to you.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Sounds to me like the lug nuts weren't long enough. The studs probably bottomed out in the lug nuts
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM

they did the install and never mentioned a retorque. i had put 200 miles on them since i left their shop. and the lug nuts are not bottomed out. like i said the lugs are threading into the wheels where they were bored out. its the same lugs if used on 2 other sets of wheels w/ no problems. they are the long acorn lug nuts.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
usually when you buy a new set of wheels they tell you to come back in 50 miles for a retorque. if they did not tell you, then they are at fault, but look at your reciept though, it may tell you to come back somewhere in fine print. that will usually cover them in case they fail to tell you to come back. they sound like they are kinda shady.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 AM

this is a shop in southeast kentucky. i took the wheels/tires and just had them switch this set out with the set on my truck (sold the ones on my truck to buy my new to me set). ive been to this shop multiple times and had work done there before. just had my front wheel bearings repacked and truck aligned a couple months ago. theyre a good shop and have been around a long time, but more along the lines of a mom/pop owned shop. i paid cash and didnt get a receipt. this is also the shop my uncle gets everything done at. just mad my wheel fell off 1 day later, and now have to get all this fixed and a new wheel...and not too sure who is gonna have to pay the bill as i don't have the money to.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Then i would go talk to them, tell them what happened, and see what they are willing to do for you. they may not foot the whole bill, instead, maybe they wil meet you half way.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 AM

i plan on going in the morning and talking to them. just curious if there could be anything else that could have been damaged and if anyone knew if they were liable or not...so i knew where i stood before going. thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 PM

well i went to the shop today...they changed the rotor, studs, and brakes for me. then wanted to know if i was ok with paying for the parts and them cover labor. not what i expected so i offered to pay for the 1/2 the parts which came down to me buying the brakes. i felt this was fair since my brakes were not new and would be due for a change before too long anyways since they were the original brakes on my truck. come to find out the big reason for the wheel falling off was that i had the wrong lug nuts. i had the tapered lugs ive used on my past two sets of aftermarket wheels, and my new ones required the lugs w/ the flank that went inside the wheel holes. so ill be buying a new set of lugs now. still thankful noone was hurt from this incident.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

I think the shop treated you well and vise versa. They are the professionals and should hve known the lug nuts would not work when they put the wheels and tires on for you, although you should have inquired about them as well. You came out well and they did too, so you should continue to get your work done there and even recomend them to your friends that need work done. JMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.