Cummins question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cummins question

Thinking bout buyin a common rail. Tryed postin on cf. But they seemed like dicks and said they are better than power jokes and it kinda pissed me off so I thought I'd ask u guys. Are the common rail cummins any count? Mainly worried bout the auto trans. Or clutches. Are either any count also all together how do they hold up? Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

The 2006 5.9's were the "Common Rails" were they not? If so, one of my good friends has one and we talk back and forth quite a bit more on a learning level than smack talking. His motor runs STRONG! Seem to be pretty good motors overall. Transmissions are junk IMHO. They rarely hold up very long to even a medium power tune. (His went out on when he was only running a 40hp tune.) Overall, I love my 7.3L, but if they put that motor in a Ford I would probably have to run out an buy one.
-Aaron
Old 11-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Pretty sure common rails are 03 maybe 03.5-07.5 correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:44 PM

I think the common rails started in 03. Not totally sure on that. The new 48re tranny is supposed to be pretty good. Most guys over on CF are at leat upgrading the tq and valve body. A lot of the higher hp guys do billet shafts as well. My tranny is holding darn near 450hp and 1000 ft #'s with just a triple disc tq and a valvebody.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:48 PM

I also have a very good friend of mine who ownes a 2nd gen Cummins.....he does however have quite a bit of performance work done to it....dare I say, (but before I do....I love my Super Duty, and wouldn't trade it in for ANY dodge!)..but I will admit, his truck pulls/runs stronger than anything I've been in...transmissions are junk!, best yank it out now and have it built to real specs...much like we 6.0 owners should just stud the heads right away...the metal around that powerplant however is something else...IMO, Dodge needed to cut corners where they could to afford the Cummins powerplant...a garage kept Dodge will last....an outside Dodge tends to "bio-degrade". Again, this is just my opinion, but I am around this particular Cummins all the time, and it's a great motor., sorry for the ranting.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM

Nah man, you nailed it. The rest of the truck is a tin can. But the Cummins is almost worth all the shortfalls.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:33 PM

why not just get a 98.5 12v? it would be a easier swap for your truck. i know a guy with a reg cab obs and a 12v. man is it sweet. sounds mean too.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:30 PM

not up for all the work and money and down time. just would prefer a common rail
Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via MSN to milesdodgeboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995psd View Post
Thinking bout buyin a common rail. Tryed postin on cf. But they seemed like dicks and said they are better than power jokes and it kinda pissed me off so I thought I'd ask u guys. Are the common rail cummins any count? Mainly worried bout the auto trans. Or clutches. Are either any count also all together how do they hold up? Thanks guys
Hey man don't worry about those guys that were being dicks. Those are the kinds of guys that have no clue and thus should drink bleach and die now with that said the commonrail did start in 03. The 03-04 commonrail engines had two different output. The standard output on the automatics was 250hp while the high output manuals were 305. 04.5 and on up were the 600 series cummins with I wanna say somewhere in the neighborhood of 315-325 factory? someone will correct me I'm sure.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via MSN to milesdodgeboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995psd View Post
I had good luck with my auto. General consensus is that they aren't worth a chit lol. I pulled twice with my stock automatic in mine. That's when I had an hx35/40 hybrid along with and edge comp and 150 sticks. It was only then that I got a slight shudder when going into overdrive....wait I just realized you were talking about the commonrails trans...my bad. But it's something of a comparison tho. The auto trans that I had was the 47re, while from sometime in 03 and up until the 6.7 commonrail cummins came out they used the 48re automatic. 6.7 cummins use a 6speed 68re.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.