Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Curiosity question - Importing a vehicle

622 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  JustinOOO9 
#1 ·
This is just a curiosity question I have no plans to do this.

In Mexico, they don't have all the emissions junk we do and that got me thinking what would happen if you went across the border bought a used truck and tried to drive it back and where you lived didn't have emission testing?

The first thing I thought was they were going to stop you at the checkpoint but how much do the guys that work there really know about trucks to them it's just another F250, F350, etc and they probably see a lot of those every day going back and forth. The next problem I see is the person at the county tax office, would they say sorry can't do it, the computer flag you, etc?

I didn't know where to put this sorry if it's in the wrong place.

#2 ·
You aren't going to get it past the border patrol without US plates on it. ...and those plates aren't going to be on it legally.

Even if you drove it through the waters of the Rio Grande, at some point you are going to want tags and insurance. The fact that it is an vehicle that has not been properly imported and - as such - is not guaranteed to be in compliance is going to put that process to a halt. ...and then you have to explain how it came to be here.

Not trying to rain on any parades. Someone could smuggle scooters from Mexico all day long. A taxed, titled, tagged, and insured motor vehicle isn't quite that simple.

#3 ·
You're not raining on my parade I was just curious what would happen and what do you mean you can't get past border patrol I see several cars a year with Mexico plates are they all crossing illegally and if they are wouldn't it be smarter to ditch the car for a US plated one or steal some US plates?.

#4 ·
What I meant is that I would not expect that a Mexican citizen legally entering the US in a Mexican vehicle is considered odd. ...but a US citizen driving through a border stop in a vehicle with Mexican tags might get some questions. ...especially, if there is no record that they left in it.

I don't think that a US citizen would have a very easy time entering the US in a vehicle with either no tags or Mexican tags. I think that there would be questions.

But, again... even if it gets through, the problem gets worse. If it's ever found out, they are going to want to know how it got through. I don't think that "I drove it through and I didn't know that was an issue" is going to cut it.

#5 ·
a 6.0 made in mexico is still gonna have the egr system and a 6.7 will still have some emissions too.

what you could do...

get the truck into the states, and buy a totaled or salvage vehicle and swap tags. I sold my last truck to a guy in mexico and it was zero issues. coming back won't be an issue.

go to mexico buy a truck, call the customs agent to let them know your coming. you don't need US plates to get in the state either. you need the paperwork from mexico dmv and customs that shows you purchased the vehicle. its really not as hard as people think... I am going to Mexico again in April I'll ask some questions there for you just to be sure.

you wouldn't be able to register any non California emissions vehicle in CA though. they are getting very strict about out of state vehicles. I think in a couple of years even big rigs are going to have to be 2010 or newer with CA emissions packages or they can't even haul from out of state in.

#6 ·
@JustinOOO9 You don't have too but thank you if you do.

I know they have some emissions but I don't think they have DPFs and DEF since they still run LSD fuel.

#7 ·
Not gonna lie I saw maybe one or two older Fords, even south like 4-5 hours south of the border, a LOT of like f650s with the cummins and then just beat up big rigs n gassers. I don't think it would be worth it because they have different requirements for lights, safety features, and a whole gammit of DOT requirements.

I tried to import a 5 spd diesel susuki samuri I found in brittian and I would of had a brand new 2013 for under $14k U.S. but almost $6k for import and I wouldn't be able to drive until I had a DOT inspection for lighting, air bags, and all sorts of stuff so I found a more economical route and not a diesel but a little 4cy 1984 4runner lol.

#8 ·
The only thing worse than having to buy a vehicle with a DPF system installed on it would be to have to add one after the fact.

#9 ·
people won't admit it, but California is the only state allowed to have its own C.A.R.B. and the feds mandated through the clean air act they either follow federal guidelines or California's C.A.R.B. Many states have stayed federal but they are wanting to be clean and clean all around so are adopting CA's guidelines.

Trump will only slow it down, its still coming, just being delayed for 4-8 years lol. I would try and find a superduty 7.3l and restore/convert it to new style suspension or whatever floats your boat, because soon we will be like Europe and you wont like it lol....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.