Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

**BUYER BEWARE!** Warranty Solutions screwjob on my 2011

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Rossterman 
#1 ·
So...I took my truck in to Ford because it had the dreaded delayed reverse, 1-2-3 shift flare issue. We ALL know it's the trans pump...and its a common issue. So anyway...Ford diagnoses it and says I need a transmission fluid pump, something with the valvebody (front replacement?), converter bolts, fluid and filter all replaced. This comes to around $3300. I'm like...ok cool...when I bought the truck (used) I bought an extended warranty with it from the dealership I bought it from. I didn't buy it from Ford...I bought the truck from Chris Myers in Daphne, AL. Anyway...I paid an additional $3k for the top tier warranty that covers EVERYTHING...the company is "Warranty Solutions" which is supposedly a branch of Wells Fargo.

So...Ford calls the warranty company to get approval. First they tell the service writer to construct a quote for an entire transmission replacement. The service writer told them that I didn't need an entire transmission...only a pump and some other internals. The rest of the transmission is fine. Well the company insists that they get a quote for an entire transmission, because they don't approve part replacements, only entire unit replacement...so Ford obliges. The quote for the transmission alone is $6,000. Because of the price...the warranty company sends out a rep to inspect it.

The service writer at Ford calls me and says that the warranty claim was DENIED...because of oversize tires. The truck has 37's on it...WHICH WERE ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT FROM THE DEALERSHIP. Service write tells me that its a BS excuse not to approve the repair and that the warranty company is S***. Even said I should get my money back from them.

At this point...I'm BEYOND livid. I call Chris Meyers Auto Mall...where I bought the truck, and demand to speak to the sales manager. I explain to him that I just bought the truck from them in February and that it is currently in the shop for transmission issues. I continued...and told him what the warranty company said. Even HE AGREED that it was BS. I told him, if I had known the warranty company was going to screw me over the tires that were on the truck when I bought it...why would I have paid an extra $3000 to get the warranty to begin with?! He said "Yeah..that wouldnt make any sense...what they're saying doesn't sound right". So he's supposed to have the business manager call me tomorrow after he speaks with the warranty company. I guess we'll see what they say.

I've decided that between Chris Meyers Auto Mall and Warranty Solutions, they have three options. PAY FOR THE REPAIRS, Refund the money I paid for the warranty, or the dealership can have the damn truck back. I REFUSE to pay a DIME to fix this problem. If they refund my money...I've already spoken to Suncoast and they will get me squared away for $850 plus parts.

For one...they need to PROVE to me that the tires caused the pump...which is a known issue...to fail. Secondly...the truck is the way the dealership sold it to me. Third...there are no clauses in the warranty paperwork that say anything about different tires anyway.

Bottom line...BE WARY of buying an aftermarket warranty when you buy a used vehicle...even it it is from the dealership you're buying the vehicle from. I'll be sure to keep yall posted...one way or another, this is going to get taken care of. Sorry for the lengthy post....

-End Rant-

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I would love to see your contract because I can guarantee you that in the fine print it states they do not cover any type of modifications. Having larger tires on regardless of whether you bought it like that is a modification.

If anyone told you it covers "everything" you should have turned and ran away because no warranty (actually an insurance policy, not warranty) covers "everything".

Now I am not saying it isn't BS and they are using a loophole but facts are facts.

This is exactly why I continue to say over and over to never buy a 3rd party and ALWAYS buy an OEM warranty.

You can cancel the ESP b UT they will prorated the amount based on how many more than you've had it vs how long of a period you were covered for.

#3 ·
Here you go.. in their exclusions:

"performance enhancements and/or modifications to tire and wheel sizes not recommended by the manufacturer"

So based on you increasing your tire/wheel size, they will not cover a repair that correlates to it (drive train).

Reactions: john galt
#4 ·
I started a thread about A/M warranty's a while back and the joke that they are!! My story's and side is much like your Ford dealer. I get stuck in the middle with customers and warranty company's that deny a claim and then what....first off you have to be ready to go to war with these idiots. THE FIRST QUESTION they always ask is: "Is it lifted with bigger wheels and tires on it?" If a yes is uttered the claim will be denied. The issue is now yours. They are playing a game with you at this point. You would be amazed at how many people just go "OK, well I need the truck so fix it" and pay out of pocket while the company retains every cent they paid for a warranty in the first place. The next cluster f**k your about to go through is they will tell you they will be happy to refund you the money for the warranty....PRO RATED!!! They will try to keep a portion based off of how long the warranty has been active. FIGHT!!! AND NEVER AGREE TO ANYTHING unless you are satisfied with the terms. Also a drafted letter from a lawyer will tell them you mean business and you'll be surprised how fast they approve the repairs. Moral of the story is its better to save some money in a rainy day fund for repairs then waste it on a warranty that wont do chit.....also read the contract. If its recommended that you need a unit replacement (engine/trans) they are allowed to find a used one out of a wrecking yard with "similar" mileage and replace it with that......these "Warranty's" are a f-ing joke. Its for this reason we ADD an hour worth of labor to each work order where we have to deal with these company's. Believe me we spend WAY more then that on the phone with these morons....it gets even better when an "Adjuster" is sent out to inspect the issue.....Guys with absolutely NO knowledge of how an automobile works....and they are the last line between approved and denied...:doh:

#5 ·
When I bought my truck at a non dealer it also had 36-37 inch tires and a lift

the salesman told me it didn't matter and the Guardian A/M warranty would cover all problems since most all their trucks were lifted and they had an agreement

the contract read different even "turbo vehicles were excluded "

I made sure I hounded Guardian until they sent me a letter of exception for my trucks lift / tires and turbo

that warranty Company still sucked but I did get some front end parts replaced no problem

not sure what I would do in you situation but a few phone calls to the Attorney General in your area may help

#8 ·
That's you ace in the hole. You will have to argue that point. They will end up talking with then selling dealer and most likely go with a "good faith" repair. Basically the selling dealer and the warranty company will split the costs. Technically the dealers are NOT supposed to sell the warranty contracts if the vehicle violates it in anyway the way it was sold.

I hate lamp!!

#9 ·
Yeah....the truck isnt lifted...just leveled but I assume they can consider it lifted. I think I have a valid point that they sold me the truck with tires on it that voids the same warranty they sold me. On top of that...I'd like to see them PROVE that the tires caused the transmission pump...which is a COMMON FAILURE to fail. Even the Ford service writer said it was BS.

#10 ·
I know Ford told me and I have it in writing that my new OEM rebuilt transmission warranty would not have any issue with my lift and tires

they said they sell this same unit to municipal brush trucks and ambulances that are modified

I hope I never have to fight that statement

keep us posted because unless this A/M warrant company has a long relationship with this dealer i don't see any good faith heading your way

#12 ·
watching because im curious of the outcome. Good luck.

I hate how a lot of people and companies have to make everything so difficult. Those no need in it at all.

Reactions: john galt
#14 ·
Your issue is strictly with the dealer and not the warranty company. They explicitly state they do not cover larger tires or lifts. This is clearly in reference to OEM tire size and not whatever the used dealer has on there.

You will continue to have future issues with anything that is connected to the rims/tires.

Have to throw it out there though.. some responsibility falls on you. It is in black and white and a written contract always stands over verbal info (covers "everything). There are many things every warranty doesn't cover so that why I said I would have run away. You should have read the contract and not take a salesman word.

I also question now that it is documented you have modified stuff from OEM (don't care who did it) will they deny future claims from things tied into it?

#17 ·
Ok yall so here's an update. After numerous phone calls between myself, my Ford dealership, and Chris Meyers Automall (where the truck/warranty was bought)...here's what they want to do. The dealer wants to pick my truck up from Ford tomorrow morning...pay any diagnostic fees that Ford may charge...then take my truck back to their dealership in Alabama to repair it. The admit that it's a jacked up situation and that it isnt right. I spoke directly with the service manager at Chris Meyers and he told me that "I don't think you'll find anyone as motivated to get this truck back on the road for you than we are". Well...that sounds all fine and well...But I'll have a few questions tomorrow before they take it back to Alabama.

1. Will Ford parts be used? - I don't want anything BUT Motorcraft parts in my truck...especially not anything from Oreillys or something like that. With this being a Dodge/GMC dealership...does anyone know if they will actually go to Ford to get parts?

2. How will they go about re-flashing the truck? - Do all dealerships have access to the Ford IDS tool, in order to reprogram the PCM for the new valvebody?

3. Will they consider just writing me a check for the parts and half the labor...in which case I'll get it fixed myself. (Suncoast)

3. About my warranty...since it's obviously worthless...and has been since you sold it to me...will I be re-funded the $3000 I paid for it?

- The service manager stated that what would make sense to him is that they would either refund me the money I paid or the dealership itself (Chris Meyers) would be my warranty...as in they would cover any and all repairs I need for the length of coverage I paid for.

- The reason this is a big question for me is this...if they refund me the amount I paid for the warranty, I'll just take the truck to Suncoast and have them fix it, plus use the rest to buy a warranty from Ford. (Service Advisor at Ford told me the tires, DPF Delete isn't an issue with Ford any longer)

Anyway...I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. Right now they've told me they plan on having my truck back to me by Tuesday...which would work great because I hate borrowing or asking anyone for a favor. Right now I'm driving my buddies 08 Duramax...nice truck...and I'm VERY grateful...but it isnt my 6.7 and not a Ford!

#20 ·
i agree with refund and or chris myers covers the warranty they sold you in house not across state lines :dunno:
insurance is a scam which is why it is a multi BILLION dollar industry.
add forced enforcement via regulation and ...well you get the idea :doh:

#21 ·
Alright yall so here's an update. The truck is at Hardway Performance getting taken care of now. The dealership agreed to cover costs as long as it doesnt surpass what they could fix it for themselves. So I have $2000 to work with. The warranty company is all but completely out of it at this point...and I'm debating on canceling the warranty which would lower what I owe on the truck.

On the bright side...Hardway is deleting my EGR and installing an H&S or SCT Livewire TS ( I told them to surprise me) and getting me taken care of. They have a very close relationship with Suncoast, so while Suncoast is taking a look at my truck getting the transmission repaired, Hardway is taking care of the other goodies.

I'll keep you posted!

#22 · (Edited)
Dump the warranty and get a refund! Most of these aftermarket warranty companies are as slimely as they come. Just search your company's name and you will likely find 100's of complaints from consumers. Most will go to no ends to come up with any flimsy excuse to not pay for things that are covered as in your case this time using the contract language that specifically excluded oversize tires as a way to deny any drivetrain related failure regardless of whether it was the cause or not. Some require every receipt for oil and filter change as well as a mileage verfication on oil changes when a camchain fails hoping a single missing reciept will give them an out to deny coverage. Its profit at all costs for most of these companies.

If you arent convinced, Talk to a few reputable independent repair shops and you will likely also find most dont want to (or refuse to) work on vehicles that are being warrantied by these companies based on their experiences. Lots of examples where vehicle sat for extended time waiting for the adjuster to come review and determine what or if they will cover repairs. Some examples of warranty companies trying to install an undocumented junkyard hi mileage motor since it was cheaper than making proper repairs on a low mileage vehicle. These shops get stuck in the middle or feel the customer is getting screwed or cheated and wont be happy with the repair down the road and bad mouth their shop. I had my vehicle inspected at the local diesel shop and they finally stopped accepting vehicles covered under these warranties because of so many bad experiences (for them and their customers).

Since warranty was mis represented, they (the dealer) have in some sense covered it on their dime which is the right thing to do. Since you said it excludes turbocharged engines, you essentially have no engine coverage anyway under your policy. You may not get back 100% but you essentially did actually get coverage (provided by the dealer) so a partial refund may not be totally out of line. The dealer will probably try to talk you into keeping it as they usually make a pretty hefty profit on selling these which will be mostly lost if you cancel. I'd wait until work is done to your satisfaction (and dealer has paid the repair bill) before cancelling as they may be less inclined to work with you if they know they might lose this profit. In the end, You will be way better off by taking the cash than trying to get any warranty satisfaction if something else goes wrong in the future.

#24 · (Edited)
I had a completely STOCK truck. I bought new. Purchased a extended warranty. My rear axle broke. The warranty company denied based on the claim I hit something which broke the axle. I spoke to a manager and I asked if he can show me ANY damage to the truck that could possibly break a axle. (The backing plate on the drum brake broke at the weld. Whe I aplied the brakes the backing plate went with the drum and the cable wrapped itself around the axle and crushed the brake line). The dealer told him the weld was defective. They stood by a decision I hit something.
There was absolutely NO damage to the truck. Anywhere. Guy kept saying I hit something. I ended up cancelling the policy. They took me for a 10% fee for cancelling.
Pretty much cured me from buying ANY extended warranty. Ever.
They rarely cover the repair cost. I just put the money I would of spent money on the warranty as a major car repair fund.

These extended warranty companies aren't worth anything. I think they automatically deny the claim. They will keep denying it. I mean what are YOU gonna do? Sue them? Even if you do sue AMD win so what? Ok they pay your claim. Maybe. I wouldn't take a aftermarket extended warranty if it was free.

#25 ·
Well here's an update. Suncoast got my truck fixed. It ended up being the Transmission PTO Fluid pump. They replaced that and the valve body and so far so good. The dealership I bought the truck from did cover $2000 of the bill, so I was only out of pocket $138. I still have the 6.7 "whine" though...gonna change the fuel filter and see if it goes away.

In other news...the dealership cancelled my warranty at my request. They back dated it back to the day I bought the truck, so there was no cancellation fee. The money I spent on the warranty was rolled into my loan, so I didn't get a refund but that money came off what I owe on the truck which is fine with me.

#27 ·
Good to hear they did the honorable thing here. So many dealers turn into slimeballs when they see some profit may be reduced on their even though they could be to blame. Might be worth a nice thankyou note to the dealership manager thanking them (and calling out the staff that you worked with for being honorable and helping getting this resolved satisfactorily).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.