Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How is the steering wheel lock disabled?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Bthor76 
#1 ·
I want to go completely keyless in my 2000 F250 6-speed manual 7.3 diesel. I haul marine and industrial supplies in this truck. It's not a grocery getter. It's a work truck and I'm tired of fumbling for keys and dealing with a worn out ignition switch and wheel locking mechanism when on the job. Security issues be damned. The locks on the doors will provide that.

My plan is to install a large "Engine Start" button in the plastic shroud where the ignition switch was. I've found a 2" 50 amp switch which should fit perfectly. The key remove lever will also be removed leaving a rectangular hole in the plastic shroud where a rocker or toggle switch can be installed. I'd rather a rocker but so far I've only found a 30 amp so I'll keep looking. Both switches need to be hefty as they are protected by 50 amp fuses. I do not want relays which could be problematic down the road. Simplicity is the key here. Basically I'm just relocating two switches that aren't key protected.

So far I'm in the investigating phase. I've found the plug that supplies these two circuits (start and run) to the steering column. I've put a jumper cable in the plug for the starter and got it to turn so I know where that is. Now I've got to do another one for the running of the truck and I know where they are. The question that I still have to solve is if there is any difference in "on" or "accessory". It appears to me that they are both the same. I'll look more into that.

The problem at hand is the steering wheel lock. To be truly keyless this mechanism will have to be disabled. The Haynes book that I'm going off of does not have one word on it so I'm left to figuring it out myself.
If anyone out there knows how to disable it please reply to this thread. Thanks.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.