Pioneer Avic U310-BT Install and Review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Pioneer Avic U310-BT Install and Review

I just picked up a Pioneer Avic U310-BT double din radio/cd/ navigation unit. This thread will show you how to install and operate it.

It has alot of awesome features. Much more than your average GPS/NAV radio. Bluetooth Connectivity, USB, Ipod/Iphone interface, handsfree cellular, and the ability to read SD cards are built in. HD and satellite radio are available with additional hardware.

I will go further into detail about some of those features later on in my review.

First off we will start with the install. You will need a few tools that most of you have around the house or garage. They are phillips and flat screwdrivers, a small socket set,and wire stripper/ crimper.

The next things you will need for the install are a wire harness and dash installation kit ,that can be picked up at best buy or just about any location that sells car audio equipment. The cost of these two items will run about $30. These items are pictured below

Since I will be installing the unit in my 06 Ford Superduty. I picked up the Schosche FDK11B wire harness. This is the one to be used with the 03 up ford trucks. Also the Metra kits Ford dash kit. For this install however we will only be using a few pieces of the dash kit.

When you purchase these dash kits they generally come with every piece available to install any size audio receiver into any vehicle. All I will be using today are the pieces necessary to install a Double DIN unit.

Step one unpack the new unit and scosche wire harness.

Then strip about a half inch of insulation off of the ends of the wires on the scosche harness.

The harness is clearly labeled as to which wire does what.

There are different ways to go about this. I used crimp caps. You can use those, butt connectors or solder and heat shrink your connections.

Most audio companies use an industry standard today. Pioneer is one of them. What you will be doing is color matching the wires between the two harness and crimping or soldering them together.

What I do is crimp them together a section at a time. I will do all the speakers as one set neatly. And zip tie them together as a group.

Then I do all the power connections and also zip tie them together as a group.

In my install the will be a few wires on the scosche harness that are not used. They are the power antenna, Amplifier remote power lead and a few other ones for the steering wheel remote. What I do with those is cut the bare ends off the harness and also zip tie them together in a group.

There is also a light green wire on the pioneer harness thats about 6 feet long. It is used to be tied into the parking brake positive connection.

Doing this provides for a clean install.

Next I open the dash kit and assemble the parts necessary for the double din stereo install.

Then I attach it to the head unit using the 8mm screws supplied with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

This unit works great. Its got to be the most user friendly GPS I have ever worked with. Easy to enter address info, even for a guy like me. It tend to fat finger everything when it comes to touch screens. This one is flawless.

The graphics on the maps are easy to read, The voice turn by turn directions are very clear and understandable. The biggest help on that is that they are played through the stereo speakers.

The coolest part of this Nav unit vs. any other one I have seen on the market is the fact that you can remove the face and program your directions. Also you can take it into your home plug it into your PC using the mini usb port.

Using the Avic feeds software from pioneers website, you can add different points of interest. Set up software that will gauge fuel usage for trips. And even pre program a selected route to go somewhere.

I love the bluetooth hands free phone portion as well.. The unit comes with a microphone that you can mount anywhere. I chose to mount mine on the headliner right above the drivers side sunvisor. The reason I chose that spot is that it doesn't interfere with use of the visor.

I have talked to about 10 people so far using the hands free, not telling them that ive got them on speaker. Everyone said it was crystal clear. (I didnt tell them that they were on handsfree until the end of the conversation)

It gives you the option to import your phone contacts to the radio, and dial from there as well. It took me about 2 calls to get used to it but now I love it.

The Ipod control is one of the best features of the unit hands down. Most head units require you to buy a seperate control unit for the Ipod/Iphone.
Not this one. Its built right in. There is a USB port on the back of the unit. It comes with a 4 and a half foot cable that allows you to plug in USB storage devices of your choosing.

Pioneer sells an Ipod interface cable for it. But I will let you in on a secret. All it is is a standard USB to Ipod dock cable. Since I have a few laying around I just used one of them.

Along with the Ipod you can also store music files on USB jump drives or other USB storage devices. It breaks them down into files and directorys just like it does on your home pc. Select the directory and song and play it. Easy as that.

It also has an SD card slot that can be used to either update the GPS software. Or it can be used to play music stored on a card as well

There are several other features such as satellite and HD radio capability (With add on controllers. Not included with unit.)

Switching between GPS and radio modes is any easy one button operation.

The Radio, CD player, and Ipod are all crystal clear. I Love the sound quality. Its got preset EQ settings and also custom build your own sound settings. All easily adjusted using the selector knob on the left side of the unit. For most everything else. Like changing preset radio stations the touchscreen is used. Even in the radio portion the touchscreen is the most user friendly one I have ever used.

Now the only feature I dont like about this head unit is the large selector knob. My wife says I'm just nit picking but in my opinion it should have some kind of rubber surround or something to make it easier to grip for a guy with larger fingers like me. Dont get me wrong. It works great. But that could be one thing they could change in the future.

In summary I have owned, worked with, or installed head units from just about every major manufacturer there is. The Pioneer Avic U310BT is by far one of the most user friendly ones I have ever worked with. If I had to give it a rating on a scale of 1-10. I would give it a 9.5. It would be a 10 in my book if it wasn't for the knob thing I previously mentioned.

If anyone has any questions please let me know. I will be more than happy to answer them to the best of my abilities
Old 10-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Im loving the GPS. It is hands down the easiest one I have ever used. (I've used a ton of em)

The maps and directions are so easy to understand it's awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.