Would you pay $3,500 to warranty a used truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would you pay $3,500 to warranty a used truck?- Story Update!

Hi all - I'm buying a 2005 F250 CC Lariat 4X4. It has 95K miles, one owner, bone stock and in exceptional condition. I'm having it shipped from Vegas to CA and should be here tomorrow. I bought it from carmax. Carmax supposedly does a 120-point inspection on all vehicles (but I realize they probably don't have diesel experts working there).

So, a 3 year, bumper to bumper warranty will run me about $3,500...OUCH!! Obviously, I don't want to lay out that kind of cash, BUT I do hear of potentially very expensive repairs! What should I do? My thought is, if I'm going to spend $3,500 on warranty, why not spend that much and get a truck with lower miles, say 80K - or would that even matter?

Since carmax has a 5 day money back guarantee, I was thinking of taking it to a real diesel mechanic for a look see. That's $120 but seems like money well spent. What do you all think???

I could also get a one or two year package for less money, of course (still pricey though!)
Thanks

Last edited by Ride Everything; 10-10-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 07:40 PM
one day at a time

For $3500 you could have the headgaskets replaced and ARP studs installed, along with a full EGR delete. That would eliminate 80-90% of the problems you could potentially have with the drive train right there... My opinion is to heck with a warranty at that price. Better off to spend the money right.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
i agree with Kurt on this one. i was just about to say there arent any "real" problems with these trucks that cant be fixed

and who knows you could get lucky and it could be studded already.

I wouldnt waste your money and for 120 dollars let someone check it out. check the oasis report and scanned the truck for any codes. not a obd2 scanner but a real scan tool.

do regular maintenance..change oil, both fuel filters and drive the hell out of it
Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
x2 with Kurt and Evan
Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose350 View Post
x2 with Kurt and Evan
Ok, cool. What was said makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

Well, I pick it up tomorrow (hopefully) so here we go!!! I already have an appt. for Friday for the check over. I never bought a vehicle with this many miles so here goes nothin'. All I know is these trucks are awesome so I can't wait. And I can't wait to NOT get 5 mpg gallon towing my camper....

I'll post back and if all goes well, I'll post some pics, too.

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
For $3500 you could have the headgaskets replaced and ARP studs installed, along with a full EGR delete. That would eliminate 80-90% of the problems you could potentially have with the drive train right there... My opinion is to heck with a warranty at that price. Better off to spend the money right.

when i bought my truck, they tried to push their warrenty which was i wanna say $2500. i declined it. it also said i had to pay 50% of the major repair bills.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

with 95,000 miles, your truck will only be under warranty for 5 more thousand miles unless you buy the 200,000 miles warranty for the engine. In that case, just to arps and a egr delete.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Not out west, lol
Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 AM

I bought an 06 back in June w/97k and I got the Ford DieselCare ESP through a dealer in a neighboring town. You might want to look into this is you would feel better with the warranty. It will extend your protection on the main problems with your engine up to 200k, or 7 years from the date your truck was put in service. I got it for less at this dealership than the dealers on the internet were offering. Just a thought!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
i agree with Kurt too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.