new arrival to the family - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new arrival to the family

Hey all! new to the forum here and green as could be regarding diesels. just purchased an 01 f250 CC LB w/the 7.3 and since I don't know squat about diesels looking for some insight.
  • what reading would you recommend for basic understanding of mechanics of diesels motors
  • basic maintenance, ie changing fuel filters, etc.
  • performance info: air cleaners? exhaust pipes/mufflers?, chips, what's the best out there?

any direction on where to go here on the site would be appreciated. lookn foward to talk with you all here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

first thing I would do is change ALL the fluids and filters,if it wasn't done befor you got it grease all the suspention and drive line,a shop manuel is pricey but will show you were everything is.this and other forums will guide you on any problems,,an' performance how fast or hard do you want to go?? it's all in the eye of the beerholder..I'm doing an exhaust brake with a4.5 exhaust and cat delete.then upgrade as cash allows ,what did you have in mind?
Old 10-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Kenj,
I am looking for a little more get up & go, and mileage (if possible). I've heard that exhaust & chips help get both? any suggestions, much appreciated.

I know the oil was just changed before I bought by dealership. I can grease the front end myself. I"ll have to get the brake & powersteering fluid done in a little bit. I need to get a alignment, since I have brand new tires on it.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyeater View Post
Hey all! new to the forum here and green as could be regarding diesels. just purchased an 01 f250 CC LB w/the 7.3 and since I don't know squat about diesels looking for some insight.
  • what reading would you recommend for basic understanding of mechanics of diesels motors
    The Powerstroke Bible or The International T444E bible. Bothe can be found on ebay, amazon, or half.com
  • basic maintenance, ie changing fuel filters, etc.
    What exactly would you like to know?
  • performance info: air cleaners? exhaust pipes/mufflers?, chips, what's the best out there?
In my opinion a DIY intake with a Napa fleet filter, a strait piped exhaust and a Tony Wildman chip will do wonders for you.
any direction on where to go here on the site would be appreciated. lookn foward to talk with you all here.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

maintenance

First the disclaimer, I am as green as they get when it comes to diesel motors.
how many miles between oil changes?
What weight oil? Best Brand? (O-W30?) Wi. temps in winter can get down to -20F.
How to change the fuel filter? do you have to prime by filling up the filter? I was told by a chevy diesel mechanic to add some trans fluid to fuel filter, (helps lubricate) but he said to ok for chevy, have to check w/Ford if okay to do same.
"cold air intake box" better than K&N air filter? I have a K&N filter now, but same mechanic says the previous is better (increases flow to turbo) any one hear of it?

do the chips really improve mileage. I'm hearing some guys getting 20-22 mpg w/chippin the motors.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

RRonning, what do you mean by strait piped?
I have a K&N air filter on it now. How is the DIY intake different?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

when he says straigth pipe he means replace the muffler and cat (if equipped) with a piece of exhaust pipe it will increase exhaust flow, milage and performance also it will be alot louder

the diy intake will replace the air box with a big a filter i (as most other people on here ) would get rid of that k&n as soon as possible because they are known for lettin small particles of dirt thru and trashing turbos
Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard. I'm a newbie as well. Just got me a '99 F-250 Super Duty 7.3 CC 4x4 with short box. I seen the thread on the the DIY intake, looks easy, works well from what I read. I'll have to strait pipe mine soon and I saw the Tony Wildman chip mentioned before, but can't find it now. I want to do that as well, looking for just a little more omph, and mpgs. My new (226,000 mile) truck was a good find, got lucky. ABSOLUTLY rust free, and got 15.5 mpg my first tank. I got some injector cleaner in it now, and new royal purple oil today. New wheels & Tires and a Can-Back on order. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.