Question about oil changes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question about oil changes

As posted yesterday evening, I just bought a 2004 King Ranch with 235,000 miles on it. I took it to WalMart yesterday for an oil change and put in 5W-40 Shell Rotella T. Is this a good oil for future use or do you recommend something else? Cost $118.00. That was a shock despite having been told that everything costs more for diesel trucks.

Newdieselfan.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I go to my local John Deere and get 15W-40.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Banned

I am using 15w-40. Rotella.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdieselfan View Post
As posted yesterday evening, I just bought a 2004 King Ranch with 235,000 miles on it. I took it to WalMart yesterday for an oil change and put in 5W-40 Shell Rotella T. Is this a good oil for future use or do you recommend something else? Cost $118.00. That was a shock despite having been told that everything costs more for diesel trucks.

Newdieselfan.....

You should be using 15W-40. I know you just had it done but I would not leave the 5W-40 in it for long, especially with 235K on it.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:54 AM
one day at a time

I'm going to disagree with the majority so far. 6.0's LOVE synthetic oil, and there is nothing wrong with the 5w-40 grade. There is a pretty significant difference in the injectors between the 6.0 and the slightly older 7.3's. The syn oil will flow better in cold conditions and can help prolong injector life. The trick is just because you run syn oil, don't fall in to the trap that you can go with extended change intervals. 6.0's shear oil like it's their job. I run the rotella syn 5w-40 too with a motorcraft filter it runs about $100 tax included to change it myself. I change the oil/filter at least every 5k miles.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:58 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
don't fall in to the trap that you can go with extended change intervals. 6.0's shear oil like it's their job.
Sorry for the hi-jack.......

Where is this documented? I have been trying to learn more about 6.0s and oil shearing. Is there a report somewhere that I can obtain? Thanks!

Edit: I'll check back later. Guess I missed you? Later..................

Last edited by Hank; 10-06-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I used 5w40 this oil change and seem to have harder starting. It takes longer to crank and has a harder time idling off the bat. When it is warm, it runs well, but cold- 60 deg and less I am experiencing that hard cold start problem. any ideas?

I put this here not as a hijack, but hopefully others will see and share experiences- maybe someone else had the same problem, maybe its just me.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Kinghawg98 that doesn't sound like an oil problem. A lighter weight oil ie. 5w40 vs 15w40 should help the cold start problems not make them worse. If I had to guess then I would guess that it is your FICM going out and not the oil. Now this is just a guess. Have you pulled any codes? That would be the first place I would start, but that is the way mine was acting when my FICM went out. When it goes you are stuck so don't "wait and see" or you will be "left in the cold".
Old 10-07-2009, 12:03 AM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Sorry for the hi-jack.......

Where is this documented? I have been trying to learn more about 6.0s and oil shearing. Is there a report somewhere that I can obtain? Thanks!

Edit: I'll check back later. Guess I missed you? Later..................
There's a few old threads on here discussing it in more detail. Not sure what they were titled or if that was even the main topic of the threads. A lot of the information I have found has been on other boards as well, and it's not all documented in any way. Just words of wisdom from techs/mechanics that are a lot smarter than me...
Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

So would running 5w-30 Amsoil in my 7.3 be a bad thing with a cold winter approaching? I changed my oil about 3-4 thousand ago and seen no problems. I get much better fuel mileage, about 2 miles more per gallon.....I know I was surprised too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.