6.7 Ford diesel - bye bye Cummins Isuzu - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Ford diesel - bye bye Cummins Isuzu

I received a note today from a friend that works at Ford on the new 6.7. When i asked if the information was ok to post she gave me a list of these websites. This new engine is gonna smoke the competition...naw, what little they had is gonna soon be dead!
I gotta have one

Ford Unveils New Power Stroke Diesel Engine - Ford Reports

Ford Unveils 2011 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel - Forums at TheMustangNews.com

New 6.7-liter Power Stroke Diesel to Debut in 2011 Ford Super Duty Trucks - Car and Driver Blog

2011 Ford 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel Unveiled at DieselDig

Ford's 2011 F-250/350 Super Duty Diesel Engine Tech Deep Dive - Will the Ford Diesel Power Stroke 6.7-Liter V8 Hit 700 lb-ft of torque - Popular Mechanics

Last edited by bfloyd4445; 09-23-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Banned

stupid as hell they aren't using navistar anymore
Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
stupid as hell they aren't using navistar anymore
like i've said in other postings, if you do your homework you soon discover that the psd has had no more problems than others and in the case of the 6.0 less than most so there isnt anything wrong with them. I am also saying that i am partial to Ford engines and Ford does make the best light duty diesel engines in Europe so am anxcious to see that happen here.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:12 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why is that stupid? You dont think FORD has the inginuity to make a great diesel engine? I do and personally cany wait to see what this motor can do. At least now when you beat a cumming or duramax you can trully say YOU JUST GOT BEAT BY A FORD!!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteramatt View Post
Why is that stupid? You dont think FORD has the inginuity to make a great diesel engine? I do and personally cany wait to see what this motor can do. At least now when you beat a cumming or duramax you can trully say YOU JUST GOT BEAT BY A FORD!!!!
And that is more than ANY Cummins or D-max driver can say!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
This link shows a 2007 Outlaw, but they call it a 2009 XL???

Whats up with that?
Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 AM

check out the '09 XL picture on the Ford Reports page...
Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteramatt View Post
Well the fact is total sales already proves that the best truck on the road is a FORD even if it dosent have the best of the pack 1/4 mile et's. So all them others already know they are beaten by Fords!
But, I'll bet this new 6.7, 2800rpm max engine is gonna blow em all away. Its gonna have an exhaust outlet the size of paint bucket! Can you imagine what this is gonna do to back presure once them pesky pollution devices are removed for the track? 2800 rpm max with more hp and torgue than the current 6.4....this has got to be a kick butt motor
Old 09-24-2009, 07:22 AM

Ford Letter

here is the letter i was sent from Ford about the new engine which i was given permission to post so I'm sure its already out here on the net somewhere.

.DEARBORN -– People who know diesel engines are familiar with, and expect, the noisy clatter generally associated with diesels. That is, until now. When Ford’s new 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel engine debuts in the 2011 Super Duty lineup, it’s expected to be the quietest, smoothest diesel on the market, outperforming its closest competitors by several decibels.

Engineering and design improvements to the all-new Ford-engineered, Ford-tested and Ford-built 6.7-liter Power Stroke® turbocharged diesel engine – debuting in the 2011 F-Series Super Duty – eliminate the harsh sounds of the typical diesel to make it one of the quietest and smoothest diesels on the market. Significantly quieter than its toughest competitor, the 6.7-liter diesel challenges traditional views about how diesels should sound.

“Historically, consumer perception has been that diesels should sound rough and tough, but from a sound quality perspective they were actually loud and unrefined,” said Scott DeRaad, engine NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) engineer. “At Ford, we approached the new diesel development as though it was more than a work truck and something that people wanted to drive, making ‘quieter’ a reason to buy.”

Most of the improvement in NVH comes from changes made to the combustion system and the structural integrity of the compacted graphite iron block, as well as from mounting one turbocharger on the engine block instead of two.

Specific design upgrades were made to both the piston and the piston bowl to optimize the combustion process, which features a two-stage combustion event instead of a single-injection event, causing harsh, sudden and loud combustion. Instead, a starter or pilot injection of fuel begins the compression process before the main injection.

The result is a smoother combustion and a more refined sound for the customer. When at idle, two pilot injection events are used to make the firing process even smoother and aid in quietness. The “ticking” of the high-speed injectors also is masked by specially designed covers on the engine.

Mounting the turbocharger from the center housing directly to the block provided several advantages as well in terms of NVH performance.

“When turbochargers vibrate, it can lead to other parts of the vehicle vibrating,” said DeRaad. “The exhaust system, for example, is directly attached to the turbocharger. So when the turbocharger vibrates a lot, the exhaust system vibrates too and that’s disturbing to the customer. Bolting the turbocharger directly to the block eliminates that concern.”

Using one turbocharger, instead of two operating in series or sequentially, helped solve some NVH challenges as well.

“Having one turbocharger eliminates the air-handling noises – the whooshes – as the engine switches from one turbo to the next turbo,” DeRaad said. “Our turbocharger also has ball bearings that pilot the shaft in the turbo, which helps eliminate the potential for the shaft of the turbocharger to gyrate in its housing, which can create noise.”

Other improvements include the addition of two resonators in the intake system as well as a third resonator near the air cleaner.

“We’ve been able to tune the diesel intake system to give us the sound we wanted,” DeRaad said. “It’s now a nice complement to the engine.”

The new diesel will also deliver other significant improvements including better torque and horsepower, class-leading fuel economy and best-in-class towing and payload for unparalleled performance.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaSixGun View Post
This link shows a 2007 Outlaw, but they call it a 2009 XL???

Whats up with that?
I don't know...maybe one of us should ask them to clarify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.