Preventing Rust on new truck frames - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kx592
Preventing Rust on new truck frames

Well I currently bought a little ranger off my grampa since he cannot and will not be able to drive anymore due to health issues. its got 14600 miles on it (05). Its immaculate as you would imagine. I plan on trying to keep it in best condition as possible so ill still be driving the stroker around more but here in jersey the road salt in the winter is killer on the frames. My stroker is already a rust bucket so i gave up on that becasue i wont have time to sand all the rust off to finish it up. What shall I use and do on the ranger to prevent rust on the under body? Should I hit it with bed liner spray just to keep the original paint in tact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 06:17 AM

check out por-15 POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks
Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 AM

Move to California?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:22 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I live in Jersey too and last year, the brine they put on the road actually ATE my wifes explorers paint right off and rusted my rear wheel wells. I stripped my frame rust off this year and put rust converter then applied rust encapastor from EASTWOOD on top. Should hold up for a long time.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Also, look in the inside of your rear wheel wells. Theres a seam in there where the salt gets into and makes the panels rust. Gonna try to fix mine and maybe silicone it in there.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx592 View Post
What shall I use and do on the ranger to prevent rust on the under body? Should I hit it with bed liner spray just to keep the original paint in tact?
if you keep up on a year to year basis with any type of rustproofing you should be fine. i live in canada and during the winter they salt the ba-jesus out of the roads so rust protection up here is a given. A friend of mine believes in the coating "type" of rustproofing that leaves a film (like zebart) and he has a 2005 avalanche with no rust. he applied it once, and so far its still good.

I opted for the liquid spray stuff that needs a annual application (krown). they sprayed so much of the stuff it dripped all over my driveway , but my truck is more important. before the snow hits i plan on getting a can of the stuff to do some touchups around the visible areas like on the leaf springs and hitch. nothing bugs me more than a rusty hitch!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Man I feel for yall Yankees, I have a 69 F-100 grandpa bought new and it don’t have a spot of rust under it anywhere. My 99 stroke and 94 ranger are also completely rust free. That road salt must be rough on yall. Yet another reason I hope I never am forced to increase my latitude.

I did learn through my antique tractor fixing hobby that phosphoric acid will neutralize rust. It can be bought in the home depot paint dept.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i`ll take road salt over hurricanes anyday. come 2012, we`ll welcome yall with open arms and hopefully pass on some of your southern hospitality to us yanks
Old 09-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Fluid Film is the best. I visit a snowplowing forum daily, and fellow members say there's nothing like it. It penetrates into the metal and stops rust, as well as prevents it. It also lubricates moving parts. We plan on spraying our frame soon, as well as our plow, when we get one. Check out Youtube, theres videos that test how well it works.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain howdie View Post
i`ll take road salt over hurricanes anyday. come 2012, we`ll welcome yall with open arms and hopefully pass on some of your southern hospitality to us yanks
Not me salt is every year, hurricanes are rare. But my truck is painted underneath, don't think that would stop salt for long though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.