Engine selection - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine selection

I am in the market for a F250 or F350 CC 4x4. The dilemma is which engine? It will primarily be used as a daily driver, and will not be abused. I only drive 10 miles one-way to work; 8 miles is at 65 mph on the highway, and 2 miles are 30 mph city traffic. It will tow a gooseneck trailer, varying loads, a few times a year.

My father (owns a 1995 Powerstroke) thinks that this will be hard on the diesel engine as it would not really get completely warmed up in that short drive on my regular commute. Is this a legitimate concern, or do the 6.0's warm up quicker than the old 7.3's? If this is a concern, are there remote starters that can be set on a timer to start the truck 10 minutes before I leave for work and before I leave work to help get the engine temperature up where it needs to be every day?

Depending on who I talk to, I hear that the V10 sucks hard on the gas and is unreliable, others state that the V10 is easy on gas (15 mpg empty) and a wonderful engine. Some say that the 5.4 is horribly weak, others say it is a great engine and under-rated.

With all the information on the internet, I am understandably confused. I would prefer to have a diesel, as I grew up with them, but don't want to get one if my commute will greatly shorten the lifespan of a diesel. I do not plan on doing any mods on whatever I get, except for mods like the EGR delete on the 6.0's.

ETA: I currently drive a 2002 F150 with the 4.6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
7.3 will be good or the 6.0. if its the 6.0 get a 05 up since most of the bugs are fixed. plus less miles.

10mi is way pleany for warm ups, about half that it will reach opt temp. i drive 2 mi down a county road then its all hwy for about 10 mi b4 i hit the city limits and the city driving begins.

hard.. no these engines are built for hard and can take it. as long you take care of it and keep up the maintance. therefore in the long run, you will have low repair cost.

for the warm up, at lease 1 min to build up the oil pressure and get the glow plugs a chance to turn off. after that, its fine.

i dont have a v10 or had one b4. had the 5.4 gas tho. and the v10s suck more gas for some reason. the 5.4 is a good engine for light work. the heavy work is great for the powerstroke.

now the 4.6 will show its limits for being an underpowered engine and in a half ton.

btw to the org.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.