AirDog and AirDog2 Whos got em? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AirDog and AirDog2 Whos got em?

To all those who have an AirDog system. What is this difference between the airdog and airdog 2 (except $100) Is the AD2 even available for a PSD? I have been researching these and am kinda confused. Also, how do these hook up? Do you put them inline with the factory HPFP? Or do you unplug the factory and run a new feed line from the AD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Forgive the long post, I will share what I have come across and hopefully save some others some time. I was confused as well when I was researching them, the info out right now for the fords is not the greatest. They come in a couple different flavors for the psd, the 130/55 and the 130/75. Both are designed to replace the stock HPFP. The 130/55 is preset at 55 psi and the 130/75 is the adjustable model, adjustable from 45 to 75 psi. They are designed so that you unplug the outlet hose from your HPFP and the airdog 2 hose has a quick connect that will plug right in to the factory line that goes to the engine. The airdog 2 is supposed to have a more robust albeit quieter pump than the first generation airdogs along with the 75 model being adjustable. It is worth nothing too that I believe all airdogs come with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

I was planning on doing an itp regulated return fuel system so upon doing reserach for that upgrade, I ran across advice from Dennis at ITP. I don't want to speak for him for fear of misquoting, but basically he recommends running the airdog as a helper pump to our factory HPFP and keeping it at about 10 psi because that is where it removes air the best. At higher pressures it becomes less efficient at removing air because the bubbles get small as the pressures increase and pass through the filters on the airdog.

What I ended up doing is getting the airdog2 130/75 setup and then got the duramax regulator assembly from pureflow (Toby and Ron are great to work with and helped me out with deciding what to do to make this work how I wanted). Basically this allows me to run the Airdog2 at 10 psi as a helper pump to the stock HPFP, then I have my fuel pressure at the regulator set at ~64 psi with the itp regulated return system like Dennis at ITP recommends.

The regular airdog is a 10 psi helper pump that plumbs in before your stock HPFP. Both systems come with everything including all fittings to do the install and are quality kits. Looking back I could have just gotten the airdog 100 or 150 but I always like trying the new stuff that's out there.

Also if my stock pump ever goes, I can swap out regulators in the airdog 2 and remove the stock pump and not have a problem. I am interested in hearing what others think of the airdog 2 as well.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thank you for the excellent post. I have talked to Adam at FCDP and I think I am going to go with a FASS setup now. As this setup completely bypasses the factory pump (causing my problem at hand) Again Thank you
Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm not sure if I was clear or not in my first post. The airdog 2 for the powerstroke is designed to completely replace the stock high pressure pump so you can remove it and only have the airdog. I didn't want to do that because air is removed from fuel better at lower pressures, thus why I had to modify the setup with the special regulator and such. But if simply having a good adjustable replacement system for your stock pump, the airdog 2 130/75 system would work well for you. I've heard the FASS system is a good setup as well, but I have no experience with them. I just wanted to make sure you weren't excluding the airdog as a possiblity because it wouldn't work for your application, because I think it would. Hopefully someone on here can chime in and give some feedback on the FASS system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.