Buying Tires Online - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 04:54 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Buying Tires Online

Ok how many of you buy your tires online. Have you found it to be cheaper then going to a local tire shop.

I ask because I found a tire online I like. It is listed for 152.00, but then you factor in shipping and a set would be 737.18. I have not checked my local tire shop to see if they carrier this tire. I am sure they do or they can get it.

But really where is the savings of buying tires on line. You have to order it, pay for the shipping. Then go to your local tire shop and pay about 15-25 dollars to mount and ballance each tire. So that 152.00 dollar tire I thought was a good deal is now over 800 dollars for a full set.

So to the ones that do buy tires online. How do you save money when doing so. I know some tires you have no choice but to order them from the net. But I am looking at a regular mud terrian tire. That has the old BFG tread pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Discounttiredirect has Free shipping and very good deals on their tires. They also offer mounting and balancing sevices for free, for those getting wheels and tires together.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Discounttiredierect is nothing more then your local discount tire dealer. I have been to a couple of them in my area. The people working there won't see me in there store again.

Why is that do you ask. I did not like the customer service I received and I hate being talked to like I have no clue what I am talking about.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Sorry for your bad experiance with them. It may very well be the same thing, but no tax, no shipping and free mounting and balancing sounded good to me. The price thay gave me fot the tires in a combo deal were less that my "tire Guy" could match. I did not buy them though. Something came up and i could not swing the new wheels.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I bought some tires on line and even after mounting and balancing I still saved $70
Old 08-30-2009, 05:57 PM

find a tire shop on the bad side of town that probably sells more than tires and say ur paying cash then u find a hole in the wall tire shop that mounts and balance for about 5-7 bucks a tire. usually ur 24/7 truck stop places are fairly cheap. or i am lucky to have a friend that has a mount and balance so no fee for that.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:04 PM

i bought tires online once and no one could beat the deal. free shipping too from texas. another trick i used was got a price from discount tire direct on here and went to my local discount tire store and told them to match the price. there price was higher than dtd quoted me so it worked out. dtd offers free shipping too.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Bought two tires a few weeks back. The tire shops couldn't come close to the price. Once the shipping got added, it was closer, but still saved money, about 25 per tire.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller3104 View Post
find a tire shop on the bad side of town that probably sells more than tires and say ur paying cash then u find a hole in the wall tire shop that mounts and balance for about 5-7 bucks a tire. usually ur 24/7 truck stop places are fairly cheap. or i am lucky to have a friend that has a mount and balance so no fee for that.
Yep. And those friends sell tires for a living
Old 08-30-2009, 07:20 PM
one day at a time

All I will say is do your homework Scott. There are dozens of online tire retailers. Some are cheaper than others. I'm in the market for tires for my little ford ranger work truck right now. My local tire shop (small town) quoted me $450 installed for a set of hankooks. I spent an hour searching the web and found the exact same tire for $311 shipped to my door. My local farm/fleet store will put them on, balance, new stems, and dispose of the old ones for about $50. Just google the brand and size of tire you want and start searching. There are great deals out there you just have to find them. They usually aren't the ones who do the most advertising either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.