Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

99 F250 SD 7.3 24k miles

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  five0merc 
#1 ·
Hello, just joined this group to gather some info regarding a possible purchase of a 1999 F250 SD XLT reg cab 8' bed from a local municipality. I know the vehicle and its a verified 24,500mi.! yes under 25k.. been garaged mostly and was used locally and to push snow around the parking lot.
The body is in excellent condition with zero rust minimal wear on cloth interior and it comes with an 8' plow also in great shape.
Kelly Blue Book has pricing @private party @$11k and fair purchase pricing between $11-$12,800.
I think they are high for pricing compared to other guides but this truck has always been well maintained with 2 oil changes yearly and supposedly the transmission currently has a slip and or is starting to shift erracticly now.
I am wondering if anyone here is familiar enough that they can offer a little advice and if they think this pricing is worth it, being anything else within $11-15K doesn't get much from a diesel thats newer and hearing to stay away from 6.0 and newer post 7.3 technology.
appreciate any help asap..
Billy

#2 ·
$11k sounds fair. Except for the trans problem. But around here a 7.3 with that low of miles could bring around $15-$20k.

Reactions: Billy231
#3 ·
I agree but it's a closed/sealed bid auction. So kinda gotta up my game if I wanna be in for a win.
Everything else here or online for sale with so called (low mileage 150k) still brings $9k and up. Cannot find a low mileage diesel truck under $20 unless beat up. Even then it's got 100k on it.
Prob gonna have to up my game. Had new trans in 2011. Guess snow plowing beats up a trans. Maybe the converter is going? Could be a $1k or so replacement. Will research that angle as well. Trying to post a pic of it but no luck yet.
Might have to go to $12,500-13k. Includes plow.

#7 ·
Had new trans in 2011. Guess snow plowing beats up a trans. Maybe the converter is going? Could be a $1k or so replacement.
Probably has a lot to do with who was driving (most likely an employee who didn't give two ***** about abusing it), forward/backward, shifting between the two while still moving, etc. Even buying a new transmission it's still a deal for a 25k 7.3.

Good luck with what you decide.

#6 ·
It's a low mile 7.3. If it isn't rusty then it's more than worth $12k. For comparison, I gave $12,500 for my OBS 7.3 with 142K miles. That was for a very clean truck in PA (entire life in the rust belt, MI to OH to PA).

In the right part of the country, that truck is worth way more than $12,000. You should buy it.

#8 ·
I know the truck from the local Fire Dept and the majority of its life was mainly used for pushing snow in a small parking lot and running errands around town. Only 2 people ever used it. Strict PMP with oil changed 2x yearly regardless of miles. Recent front end ball joints changed and everything else checked out ok and greased.
Replacement trans in 2011, so if craps out I guess I'll deal with it then but still a deal even at $13k. Body has zero rust (garaged since new) undercarriage chassis shows surface rust, hopefully, that can be dealt with and everything else (panels,floors) I will probably check and possibly have under coated or painted.

#13 ·
99-04 will bolt right on.
05+ rims require 2" spacers

With a leveling kit you can fit 35" tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.