Which is the better deal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which is the better deal?

I'm looking to buy a 7.3 in the next week or two here. I LOVE the look of the OBS but I also love the newer ones as well. I have found a 97 F350 7.3 4x4 with 171k miles on it. This truck had it's engine rebuilt (pistons, sleeves, belts, pumps, injectors, all the good stuff) 45k miles ago due to a knock. The tranny was also rebuilt 55k miles ago. Both were done by a shop. It is a crew cab, long bed, and looks to be in excellent shape. New tires, new shocks, vinyl floor, manual windows and locks, solid bench in front. The issue is that it is located 1100 miles away and I don't have a ton of time for road tripping.
The second one I found is an 02 F250 7.3 4x4 crew cab, short bed. 160k miles and no details yet on it's shape. Lariat interior, looks to be in great shape as well. This one is maybe 100-120 miles away which is why it's a contender. What are yalls opinions on it? I would love having a long bed for hauling various things without a trailer AND having my toolbox in it. Any thoughts that I may have missed? Thanks!

Both are about the same price

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

They bolth seem to be nice trucks i would not be afraid to buy either with original miles on them.

The OBS how ever has me questioning the owners maitence why did it need all that work and has he trated the rebuild the same.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Emergency Services

I talked to the owner of the OBS on the phone and here's what he said. The truck was originally a rental and then the second owner bought it. When the second owner had it, the engine developed a knock that he couldn't figure out. To fix that, he took it to a shop in Tucson who completely rebuilt the engine (new pistons, rings, sleeves, belts, sensors, computer, injectors, injector pump, starter, alternator, a/c fan motor etc). One of those fixed the knock. He had an issue with one of the sensors at the front of the engine but it was fixed under a Ford recall. The transmission, for one reason or another, was rebuilt around the time the motor was. Then the third (and current) owner bought it to haul his 5th wheel. He's had it for about 50k miles or so. He sold his fifth wheel so he's selling the truck now. From the looks of it and the sound of the current owner, the truck was taken care of really well. My only reservation with this F350 so far is how far away it is...
Old 08-23-2009, 08:55 PM

buy the obs its a nice lookin truck
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drguitarum2005 View Post
I talked to the owner of the OBS on the phone and here's what he said. The truck was originally a rental and then the second owner bought it. When the second owner had it, the engine developed a knock that he couldn't figure out. To fix that, he took it to a shop in Tucson who completely rebuilt the engine (new pistons, rings, sleeves, belts, sensors, computer, injectors, injector pump, starter, alternator, a/c fan motor etc). One of those fixed the knock. He had an issue with one of the sensors at the front of the engine but it was fixed under a Ford recall. The transmission, for one reason or another, was rebuilt around the time the motor was. Then the third (and current) owner bought it to haul his 5th wheel. He's had it for about 50k miles or so. He sold his fifth wheel so he's selling the truck now. From the looks of it and the sound of the current owner, the truck was taken care of really well. My only reservation with this F350 so far is how far away it is...
If you are comfortable with all that i say go with the OBS it is a realy sharp truck.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:54 AM
Premium Member

Id say go with the OBS, they are great trucks. But your comparing a XL to a Lariat. If you drive much youd probally be better off with the SD lariat but hey just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.