wait.... WHAT!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wait.... WHAT!?

I do have a question but first... a brief emotional outburst

A couple of weeks ago the Service Manager at my local dealership made an off-hand comment about how after the new 6.7 motors have run their course Ford may get away from diesel powered SuperDuty's altogether due to the unrealistic emission regulations and overall costs associated with building the engines and keeping them compliant. I, of course, laughed.

Until I just went to the 'Build & Price' section on FordVehicles.com and started to put together a 2010 truck for fun.... THE DIESEL MOTOR IS A $9325 OPTION!? WHO WHAT HUH!? And that is for the 6.4 - who knows what the price tag will be for 2011. Seriously, diesel is a nickel more than gas around here. I don't care what the difference is in mileage with a 5.4 (or 6.8 for that matter!) gasser; $9325 buys a lot of fuel. You would have to drive your new truck for YEARS to hit the break even point on your initial investment. I'm not a contractor or rancher who can articulate such a purchase as a 'business expense'. I just like diesel pickups.

anyway - there is a reason I rant - I love my truck. I drove a gas F250 for many years but after 3 years in my 6.0 I know I could never go back. I also know that I'll never be able to spend 10K on a diesel motor when the fuel prices are as comparable as they have become. Are diesels really THAT much more to manufacture? Would a side-by-side parts list comparison with a gas motor really show a $9300 price difference? Is the EPA trying to regulate them out of existence? I know it's entirely possible but I'm suffering from internet sticker shock...

How do I make my current motor so damned bulletproof that I can drive it for 20 more years and then be buried in it? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 PM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350SD View Post
How do I make my current motor so damned bulletproof that I can drive it for 20 more years and then be buried in it? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
ARP headstuds, an EGR delete, coolant filter kit, maybe a oil bypass kit.

Also a regulated return fuel system and a pusher pump like the airdog 150 are all good longevity mods to do. None of it gives you more power, but they are definitely huge reliability mods.

I have everything but the coolant filter and oil bypass kit on my truck. Only reason I don't have a coolant filter is I don't think it will fit due to the increased size of my hot CAC pipe on my Banks technicooler kit.

Also be anal, obsessive compulsive about your maintenance. Use good oil and filters and change them at short intervals, like 5k or less. Change your fuel filters every 12-15k. Have your tranny serviced every 30k, etc. etc...
Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i work for freightliner and they are telling us that by 2015 all pickups even half tons and all vehicles with a gross weight of 6000 pounds or more will be diesel powered or the gov EPA guys wont let them out of the plant kinda like they have done the new camaro SS with over 500 horsepower but you cant buy one in the USA any way that's what corporate is telling us
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
if you think the 9500 option for a diesel is crazy.. try pricing out a replacement motor for these suckers...it will blow your mind..
Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 PM

Subscribed, I too am curious to find out about why exactly they are so much more expensive
Old 08-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
most of it is demand probably..
Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 PM

True, I think it would be really cool to see a side by side parts list of a diesel motor and a gas motor, with prices of each piece. I'm not tryin to complain about how high it is, I just think it would be interesting to see
Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350SD View Post
Until I just went to the 'Build & Price' section on FordVehicles.com and started to put together a 2010 truck for fun.... THE DIESEL MOTOR IS A $9325
before i bought my f350, i priced out a chev 2500 gas. if i wanted the duramax, it was roughly another 9 grand on top but the sales guy said that the price is for the tranny as well. pricey package.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:06 AM

Well I'm seein it this way, these are gonna be factory/dealership-like prices right. A REMAN injector is $100 a pop... a factory replacement Ford turbo is like $1200 or something right? And that stuff is a 7.3 that isn't running compounds and common rail. Diesels are freakin expensive. But I too would be interested in seeing a side-by-side cost comparison.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:20 AM

I think they are going to price themselves out of business, even for gassers.

A buddy of mine looked at a 2010 F150 Supercrew King Ranch the other day. It was $44,000!!!!!! That's stupid-expensive. Hell, I paid 42k for my 1 ton diesel Lariat 4x4!

Oh well, if they have willing buyers then they can charge what they want. I may never buy a new vehicle again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.