Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Opinions on buying 1st diesel- 2012 6.7

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Hash Brown 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Just sold my Dodge 1500 and I'm now in the market for a 3/4 ton diesel. Me and the wife plan on getting a 5th wheel camper and that's the main reason I got rid of the dodge. I've read a lot of the pros and cons on the big 3 and each have their own issues it seems. I love the look of the fords, so I figured I'd try those out first. (Really don't like the looks of chevys so trying not to consider those honestly) I'm going to look at a 2012 6.7 f250 tomorrow. I've read about 6.4 problems and the cab off repairs kind of scare me honestly. The 6.7's seem to have fewer problems from what I've read online. One of my buddies tells me the 6.7s have turbo issues that were fixed in 2015. Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice or reasons why I should or shouldn't get this 2012 6.7 and anything to look for when I inspect the vehicle. I honestly don't know a lot about diesels, since this would be my first. Looking for a reliable truck that will last, but seems harder to find in these epa diesels lol. Not looking to tune it for crazy hp torque etc, But maybe deletes and a tow tune if it really improves the reliability of the engine.Any help?? Heres a link to the truck I'll be looking at. Original Owner, 22k miles.

2012 F250 SuperDuty Lariat FX4 Power Stroke Diesel

#2 · (Edited)
For $1800 more you can buy a new 2015 that comes with a Lifetime Powertrain warranty as well as the full factory warranty, plus you'll probably get better interest rate.
Here's an example. This is the dealership where I bought mine, near Baltimore Md.. They offer the lifetime powertrain warranty with every vehicle they sell at no additional charge, (not all do).
New 2015 Ford Super Duty F-350 Lariat

Good luck on whatever you choose. If you are thinking of buying a Ram look at this thread (link below), particularly the comments by John_P who had been a Loyal Dodge Man for a couple of decades. He still drag races his 96 CTD, but won't buy a new one, he just bought a new Powerstroke. John is a moderator on another Diesel site and he builds Cummins race engines from time to time. If John won't buy a new Cummins, you know there's a good reason.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-7-discussion/739882-my-2015-test-drive.html#post9031826

#5 ·
Thanks for info! Around here new lariats have been going for 55k or so. I could get this one for 42k with only 22k miles. Have there been many issues with the 2012 6.7s? I just don't want to strike a good deal on a '12 and it have major problems that I could have known beforehand. Or do you guys recommend a cummins? haha

#6 ·
The early 2011s had a few problems, but I think the 2012s were fine.
Good luck and keep us posted with what ever you kill and drag home.

#7 ·
I've had mine for the last 18 months and have only had a few issues... The majority of them, like most all dealt with the DPF system. I've had several sensors fail, putting the truck into limp mode. One in the def tank, and the EGT #2 has failed twice... Part of the reason I deleted. Other than that I had a few of the solenoids in the tranny replaced ( there was a TSB out on that one: had a rough shift that would not be fixed by the transmission reflash update). Just this weekend I discovered I've got a slight oil seepage from the drain cap and lower pan. Depending on the build date, the 11's and early 12's had a polymer plastic type lower pan with quick release drain plug... They're prone to leaks around the plug and bolts. Again, covered under the power train warranty and they'll replace it with the metal style pan they went back to. With only 22k that truck should still be under warranty for any of the issues I listed above... But like others have said, for that price, if u can find a '15 or '14 for not too much more may be worth a look.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still buy the truck again if I had the chance. Few minor issues but worth the few trips to the dealer.

#8 ·
Problem with buying new is its over budget..I really set a 40k budget and I'm already pushing it. I could definitely find some '14 XLT's low miles below 40k, but I really like the lariat interior. Idk if nice interior is worth it though. So choices are 12' 6.7 lariat, cheaper 14' xlt, or even 10' 6.4 and save even more...Just drove a buddy's brand new 6.7 lariat and... :drool:

#11 ·
----------------------
jwalk09:

I see quite a few 2012 Ford SD, Lariat 6.7 Diesels in my area of eastern N.C. that are well within your price range. Most of them have fairly low mileage too. I would do a search through one of the major car/truck online sites for your area and see what comes up. Also, another option is to look at the
Ford Certified Pre-Owned Trucks if your Ford Dealer has that program.

Good luck in your search! I hope you find what you are looking for.

--------
John_P

#9 ·
I cant answer the question as far as which scenario is best for you, however I can tell you which scenario would be best for me...

Over the years I have come to realize that I am never satisfied unless I buy exactly what I want. So my advice would be decide what it is that you really want and if necessary save a little longer to make that possible.

Normally when I settle or make do I end up trading in in a couple of years. I personally save money in the long run by paying more up front. If you end up settling for something (lariat vs xlt) make sure u will be happy in the logn run.

#12 ·
Thanks everyone! I'll keep looking for sure. Planned on checking out that '12 today, but seller couldn't meet up today. Also he called me up and let me know the check engine light just came on today (he changed oil first time by himself this past week and figures that's why) Truck hasn't had any probs in dealer report or anything and cel comes on right before I look at it haha..Some luck. Hopefully nothing wrong though.

#13 · (Edited)
I bought my first diesel in May of 2013 - 2013 F250 King Ranch FX4 and I would do it all over again in a heart beat. I have wanted an F250 for quite a while but drove sports cars for years. I have 27,xxx miles on the truck as of now without any issues. I changed the fuel filters and oil myself the first time at 15k miles with ease(first oil change was free at the dealer) and I had never done any work on a diesel. I used the youtube video for the filter changes and that made it a breeze. So far I haven't done any mods but plan to add a leveling kit and wheels/tires soon. Then will be a delete and tune once I get past the 50k mile mark(just a number I put in my head before I'll delete).

The only thing I will say is be prepared for the costs of owning a diesel over a gasser. Diesel is more expensive per gallon, DEF costs about $40 every 7,500 miles if you buy at auto zone but you can buy it for half that on amazon, oil changes are more expensive bc of how many quarts of oil, and fuel filters are about $60 on amazon if you change them yourself every 10K miles.

#16 ·
Tip on buying DEF to save money. I ran mine totally empty once just to get rid of any old DEF after a year. Total fill up of 5 gallons was under $13. Pilot and some other truck stops have DEF at the big diesel pumps for about $2.65/gallon.

Reactions: Hash Brown
#14 ·
Good post Hash Brown! Lots of good information there for economizing the cost of your vehicle. Give us a message if we can help you find any of the stuff you mentioned in your post when the time comes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.