Fuel filter suckin air?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel filter suckin air??

Ok my uncle changed the fuel filter (under frame) a couple weeks ago on his 2012 6.7 and started having problems soon thereafter. Immediately he noticed a high pitched sucking sound everytime he'd drive the truck. Didn't think much of it until this past weekend when he was goin on a trip and the truck lost a considerable amount of power and started throwing codes. He limped it home, did some research and read that this a somewhat common problem on the 6.7. Apparently the frame mounted fuel filter is known to suck air causing the truck to lose power. I'm used to a 7.3 so I wasn't much help haha. Anybody heard of or experienced this? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I read someone else on this forum that had the same problem. The cap on the fuel filter has to 've snuggled down really tight or air will get in and cause the codes. Tighten it down until the fuel pump stops making the loud noise. Then you have to have a scanner to reset the codes or take it to the dealership and have them do it.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:17 AM

I hear mine squealing once in a while and I think it sounds like air. Mine has done it since new. I've changed fuel filters twice with no change. Everything is tight. I'm wondering if air can get in somewhere else. My truck runs good though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-31-2014, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same issue last year. Adjusted the air filter cover and the sound went away. I just don't think it was sealed tight.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy209 View Post
I read someone else on this forum that had the same problem. The cap on the fuel filter has to 've snuggled down really tight or air will get in and cause the codes. Tighten it down until the fuel pump stops making the loud noise. Then you have to have a scanner to reset the codes or take it to the dealership and have them do it.
There's a hard mechanical stop on the filter housing that you can't tighten past. just make sure you hit that stop when replacing the housing. Just be sure to go nice and slow with it as some have found the hard way that the plastic bowl that holds the filter can crack if you apply too much pressure. I typically change my filters every 10K mi, the book will tell you to cycle the key 6 times w/o starting and hold for 30 seconds to purge all the air. I usually double this and will still sometimes hear the pump hiss for a few starts after the change. within a day or so it's completly gone and have never had any probles or codes.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:37 PM

So, should he just take the old housing off, put it back on again and hope that it seals better this go around? Would lubing the o-ring help any? I've a always used diesel to lube the o-rings on my (7.3) fuel filter. Whatchyall think?? Thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 04:45 PM

yeah pop the frame mount filter off, lube (I use motor oil) and check that you did not roll the big O-ring. Then tighten till you hit the stop. Do not over tighten past the stop, these plastic housings can crack. I would also check the housing for a crack if he still has problems.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:48 PM

The last few times I just used diesel to lube the o-ring. Last week when I went to pull the housing off it was a pain to get off and I swap them every 10k. This time I used some oil from the change I was doing so hopefully it works better this go around. Also had quite a bit of gunk in the bottom of the housing, which keeps me swapping them every 10k vice the 20 k listed in the book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.