Am I going to blow my tank up? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Am I going to blow my tank up?

So heres the deal, last week I had a factory tank and an aux tank gravity fed, when I opened the cap when i had previously filled it there was a very slight bit of pressure on the cap but nothing that worried me.

Fast forward to this week, now I have a titan tank and put a new pump/filter setup on the aux tank since it would take 8 hours to feed gravity haha. See pic.

Now this is a small Airtex pump 72 GPH, 4-6 PSI, I filled about 30L today just to check it all out and had a bit more pressure behind the cap of the titan tank (body tank) when i opened it up. It was a decent little puff, but hard to say how much pressure it was.

Do these tanks have a vent at a certain PSI? is the cap a 1 way vent? Am I going to wreck my tank or anything else?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 09:54 PM

my factory tank always has some pressure behind it and i dont have anything else going into it
Old 07-29-2014, 02:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A little pressure is not a problem with the tank as long as it is not excessive. The tank is most likely designed to expand some.

You definitely want to avoid a vacuum. A vacuum could collapse the tank
Old 07-29-2014, 07:20 AM

Thanks guys I agree a little pressure is ok, just hope its not too much.

Anyone know of a fuel cap that releases at like 5 PSI and also releases for even the smallest amount of vacuum?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:24 PM

there must be some pressure when i did my tank and accidentally broke a tab tried to just zip tie it to hold well there was no pressure and it sucked in snow. I had to get a new tab and now there is pressure again so if you loose that means its probably sucking from somewhere and letting stuff you don't want in like snow!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan.9 View Post
there must be some pressure when i did my tank and accidentally broke a tab tried to just zip tie it to hold well there was no pressure and it sucked in snow. I had to get a new tab and now there is pressure again so if you loose that means its probably sucking from somewhere and letting stuff you don't want in like snow!

That sounds right to me, wish I knew what kind of pressure they are meant to hold and I could T off the Titan tanks Vacuum vent line and have a 3-4 psi check valve for over pressure, might be redundant but for $20 i'd go for it.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Something doesn't sound right here...or maybe I've misunderstood...

I have a RDS tank is a gravity fed unit that feeds into my truck's tank via a T-fitting that has a 1 way valve built into it. There's also another line leaving the top of the take that is a vent line...it also has a 1 way valve to prevent spillage in the event of a rollover. Never have I ever had any pressure. I would contact the manufacturer ASAP to assure there's not an issue. It's not something to play with.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:14 PM

funny question
I did my Titan tank and actualy added i more vent using a PWC vent valve that keeps a few psi but no vacuum

i am pretty sure the OEM is the same the reason I did mine was to get full flow at the pump without the nozzle shutting off and it works

but i think your fine without anything since the OEM is vented and while filling this would exceed your pumps transfer volume and it doesn't spit back up from the filler so i imagine the vent is expelling the air being displaced just fine
Old 07-29-2014, 04:47 PM

ZMANN your right on track I think, but I think the factory tanks now are only vacuum vented due to emissions controls where it's not allowed to vent fuel vapours into the air.

Having said that, I like where your going with the PWC vent valve and it would be awesome if you could show me a similar valve! My idea is to T the factory vacuum vent line, one side of T has factory (titan) vacuum vent and the other will have my own pressure vent at 3-4 PSI.

With that setup when I am pumping fuel into the titan tank at 72 GPH it won't allow it to build more than 3-4 PSI, while when I'm not pumping it will act as normal with just the vacuum vent.

Aside from that the aux tank has a vented cap for both vacuum and pressure so it should be good to go.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:57 PM

i would have used a vent from a Yamaha since I have 3 of them LOL
I know I installed a vent valve of some type i need to go peak and make sure that's what I used
i also extended it up to the very top of the inside of the bed above the fill neck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.