Lift and gear questions for a diesel newbie - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lift and gear questions for a diesel newbie

Greetings everyone. I am new to diesel trucks....and Ford trucks for that matter. I currently have a Silverado crew gaser with the 5.3. I love the truck but am in need of a 3/4 ton truck. Well I want a 3/4 ton diesel truck, the "need" is debatable. Any way, by Monday I am going to purchase one of two trucks I have deals pending on and wanted some advice from people. One is a 2012 6.7 Lariat crew cab 4x4 and the other is a brand new 2014 6.7xlt 4x4 crew. The Lariat has 3.55 gear ratio and the XLT has the 3.31. I will no doubt be putting a 6-8" lift on whatever truck I get with 37" tires (Nitto trail Grapplers or Toyos MT's) on a 20x10 wheel. My current truck is on a 6" Fabtech with 35's and a Blackbear tune. I don't think I can go back to stock height again.
Anyway I have a 33' bumper pull camper that is about 7k pounds unloaded. I pull it occasionally but it works the Chevy too much and I get 6 mpg pulling it.
I'd rather have the brand new XLT, but the Lariat has a few nicer features and the 3.55. The cost is about 10 bucks different a month on the two so that is not a factor for my decision. At this point, I would like to know if I could get the 3.31 and be ok once it gets the lift and tires? or should I go 3.55 and get the used Lariat (only 20k miles). And I did search, but its seems to be conflicting info on the lift subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the price is so close I'd get the 14 and just regear. With that lift, 37s, and that trailer, even 3.55s wont be the best. Now if you were rarely towing thats one thing, but it sounds like you tow a lot.

This is based off responses I see here. I have 35" mts and a 15k lb toy hauler and the power is never a concern, only the weight on the rear tires and stopping. I just dont think you'd be happy with 3.31 and 37's.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The 6.7 has so much power, it will tow that just fine with 37s in either gear ratio.
The Following User Says Thank You to wreedPS For This Useful Post:
dsbunton646 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't pull the camper that often. It is more of an once every couple month type of deal. I do pull a smaller trailer with atv's and utv, and I have a bow rider boat that is 20' long. Both the boat and small trailer are not a problem for my current truck though. The concern is the upgrading to a larger toy hauler at some point.
I don't think I want to buy a brand new truck and then drop extra cash to regear it. Doesn't seem to be the best route for me. With some type of tuner, (ie superchips etc..) on the truck could/would that help with the 3.31 ratio?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:09 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would spend the money on deleting the truck and getting a H&S or Spartan tuner before you go re-gearing.

Have you driven a 6.7? It is a beast. It has 800lb-ft from the factory.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreedPS View Post
I would spend the money on deleting the truck and getting a H&S or Spartan tuner before you go re-gearing.

Have you driven a 6.7? It is a beast. It has 800lb-ft from the factory.
No I haven't driven it yet. I just wanted to be prepared for down the road. I usually keep my trucks a long time and would rather get it right from the start. So if I understand correctly, the new 2014 with 3.31 would run that setup and still pull a camper occasionally without issue. I assume that it would decrease the fuel mileage vs the 3.55 due to the larger tires but I would think it wouldn't be too drastic. There really isn't a huge difference in 3.31 and 3.55 is there?
Old 07-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fordtrix is giving you good advice here. 37" tires with a 3.31 gear is not going to be a good tow rig even with 800 lb.-ft. It'll do it, but I think you'll be disappointed.
The Following User Says Thank You to claws314 For This Useful Post:
dsbunton646 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 03:26 PM

it would still kick arse all over the 5.3 silverado he has now

hell my 6.0 gasser GMC 2500 towed 6k like dog chit with no lift then the tranny ]was starting to make noise my little old 6 liter powerstroke with 37's was just soo much better
that i never thought about that GMC again (and I am a GM guy )

I would get the truck you want then do the lift then decide if you need gears

thats the way I would roll anyway
Old 07-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My Silverado does what it can with the camper. The Black Bear tune helped quite a bit on the truck with shifting and such after the fabtech lift and added wheels and tire size. It has the 3.73 and 5.3 V8.

I would rather have the brand new 2014, then a used 2012. However if the gear ratio is going to be that noticeable of a difference on a lifted truck then I may just go with the 2012 (Lariat). It will be a few month before I lift due to having to get wheels and tires etc.
The 2012 is certified used so I still get 78k of mileage warranty. Outside of the gear ratio and year...the two look pretty much the same with the Lariat having a back up camera and remote start as the only features the new XLT does not have.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FYI a typical car salesman.....made promises and then tried to renegotiate after stating one price. So looks like I will be back to searching or picking up the 2012 used truck. If anybody is in North Florida or south GA, Stay clear of Lilliston Ford for your buying needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.