Aluminum savings!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aluminum savings!!

So I'm just going to copy/paste my post from another forum so it may be repetitive for some.

Kind of off topic since it isn't a 6.7 BUT it is important to know and I think can stir up some good discussions on the 17 Aluminum SD.

Ford just announced today that a 2015 F150 CC Lariat is coming in at 732lbs lighter then the 2014 equivalent!!! It's weight is 4942lbs!!!

Ok, so here is the interesting point.. if they saved that much weight with Aluminum, what do you think we will be seeing with the 17 SD weight savings? Heavier/bigger truck should equal bigger weight savings.

Have to give credit for the article but it is confusing and poorly written.

2015 Ford F-150 Weighs Less Than 5,000 Pounds, 2.7 V6 Makes 325 HP

So with a 15% weight savings on the F150 and if Ford can do that with the Superduty, we could be looking at UP TO 1,000lbs of weight savings. With more gears in the upcoming tranny, we could see some significant fuel mileage increases.

Boy GM is going to be 5+ years behind!!!

Thoughts?? Let the discussions begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

GM seems to be really lagging behind lately, and doesn't appear to care. I guess with over 29 million recalls, they have their plate full.
pops250, 6.0newb! and 977300 like this.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If they do I would have to rethink my purchase opitons. I do not think Aluminum body panels will be near as durable. An interesting thing to consider here. Body shops are not prepared to work on aluminum. I've read articles insurance will go up 15 to 25%.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougstdig View Post
If they do I would have to rethink my purchase opitons. I do not think Aluminum body panels will be near as durable. An interesting thing to consider here. Body shops are not prepared to work on aluminum. I've read articles insurance will go up 15 to 25%.
Ford claims 10% and they have already begun trainings on repairs with dealerships. As more and more vehicles turn to aluminum, it will become more common. Aluminum vehicles have been out for many years, it is nothing new.

Also, if you havent seen them, go to youtube and search for torture testing of the 15 f150. Pretty amazing videos (10 of them). I am not worried about the aluminum, mining companies have been testing it out without even knowing about it.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:19 AM

Once again I agree with Bman^^^^
Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 AM
Premium Member

You have to remember that this is an aluminum alloy that Ford is using. It's actually harder than regular aluminum from what I've been reading. One Ford informational video said that they are using the exact same alloy that Boeing uses on the new 787 Dreamliner's wings.
That jet can weigh as much as 557,000 lbs. and travel at Mach .85, so I think the durability issue is... well, a non-issue.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:28 AM

The only thing that concerns me is the salt up here unless there is a cure
Old 07-23-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Trucker View Post
The only thing that concerns me is the salt up here unless there is a cure
Why would salt be an issue? Salt rusts on steel, it doesn't on aluminum. I would think Aluminum would be better then steel.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 AM

Weight savings on a Super Duty....I'm interested to see how that might effect towing capacity.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuik View Post
Weight savings on a Super Duty....I'm interested to see how that might effect towing capacity.
Weight savings isn't going to have an effect on towing. The weight savings is in the cab, bed, doors and fenders. None of that effects towing.. Towing is more of the frame and suspension.

One of the comments on the F150 is that the 2.7ecoboost in the F150 allows it to tow 8,500lbs which is just insane out of a 2.7. No mention of the 3.5 eco yet for tow ratings that I could find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.