Question about 2014-15 Powerstroke Repairs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question about 2014-15 Powerstroke Repairs?

Hey, I know I'm new to this forum but I am just seeking help on the power stoke model trucks.

Im in the market to trade up from a 1/2 ton to either the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. I have owned my current truck for about 8 years. If i knew some of the problems before hand with the f150 i would of hesitated to buy it. I am wanting to know if you have to work on the rear of the motor of a 2014-15 models of the power stroke, do you still have to take the whole cab off the frame to do work to it. This is just a concern i have for the future once the warranty runs out. I would hate to have to spend a few thousand to change a 100 dollar part. If anyone knows this answer and can spare some advice that would be greatly appreciated.

I don't wanna spend 55k on a new truck just to spend more later because Ford couldn't find a better way to remove the motor or work on it, if any problems do happen.

I came here as the Ford dealership won't or can't give me a truthful answer on my question.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Go to the lot, open the hood, look at the engine. Self evident.

The current generation Powerstroke is not as problematic as the 6.0, but there is a chance at some point the cab will need to come off.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:18 PM

There is a chance of having to pull the cab for engine work depending on what is wrong. There is one in our local dealership that has the cab & front end pulled. I try not to look at it when I stop by to see the salesman.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

You know, I had the same thoughts before I bought my truck, I called a friend who is a Tech at the local dealership about the practicality of removing the cab for major service. He told me it wasn't a big deal for him as he so good at it that he can have them off in a little over an hour. He said that it makes working on them so much nicer as he doesn't have to worry about dropping a wrench or a heavy part on the customers fender. The cab is 7 feet up and out of the way while he works on it. Then the rest of the repair goes so much faster as he isn't climbing on a platform and leaning in the engine bay. He said that on major repairs the job actually ends up getting done quicker in the end and his back feels much better at the end of the day.
I think it just sounds bad to me when you say that you have to remove the cab.

Anyway, I wanted to say
Old 07-19-2014, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I agree with rjc2.. sounds bad but if you think about it, itnis some bolts and unplugging some harnesses etc. It can be done in 60-90 minutes which is far better then digging into a motor to get down to a part. I rather have the cab off then 50% of the motor on a work bench.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:53 AM

I trust the techs at Ford completely, they've been lifting cabs off for 10 yrs now for different reasons ........ I agree with RJ
Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 PM

Actually ford has made it easier than ever to remove the cabs on the superdutys. every year it gets easier to do, and in the 6.7s its the easiest yet, and can easily be done in an hour. However with the amount of stuff under the hood, it becomes more necessary on repairs, but still only occurs on major engine work. most or all of the repairs can be done with the cab on, but its just a lot easier to pull it. Don't be to worried, duramax trucks, especially lately have been getting cabs pulled to on the same premise. its just easier to deal with. Only ones that don't are cummins, and mainly because its an inline 6.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC2 View Post
You know, I had the same thoughts before I bought my truck, I called a friend who is a Tech at the local dealership about the practicality of removing the cab for major service. He told me it wasn't a big deal for him as he so good at it that he can have them off in a little over an hour. He said that it makes working on them so much nicer as he doesn't have to worry about dropping a wrench or a heavy part on the customers fender. The cab is 7 feet up and out of the way while he works on it. Then the rest of the repair goes so much faster as he isn't climbing on a platform and leaning in the engine bay. He said that on major repairs the job actually ends up getting done quicker in the end and his back feels much better at the end of the day.
I think it just sounds bad to me when you say that you have to remove the cab.

Anyway, I wanted to say
This is nice and all, but the actual time it takes vs. the billable hours charged are another thing. I was charged 3 hours labor for a crank position sensor that took 20 minutes to change. They charge what ever is posted on their system... It may be good for the mechanic...but the consumer will bite it in the end...
Old 07-20-2014, 01:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

For everyone that chimed in thank you.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horel View Post
For everyone that chimed in thank you.
We're here to try n make sense of it all, it isn't always fair........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.