Be careful who you tell!!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Be careful who you tell!!!!!!

So, a friend of mine installed the Pop-n-Lock tailgate actuator on his new 2014 f250 KR thinking it would make his truck more secure. He not only told everyone on a particular forum, but also showed half of the neighbors who were out that day during the installation. What he didn't realize was that he was also showing everyone how easy it is to break into a truck with this upgrade.

The next day, all his tools were stolen because some smart guy cut the wires under his truck and used a 9vt battery to trigger the unlock of his tailgate.

So, if you have this upgrade, you either need to stay hushed about it or run your wires soooo well that this can't happen easily.

This is probably true of several upgrades you may have. Including the Jimmi Jammer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 AM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I will certainly avoid this upgrade now. There's no reason to have a remote tailgate lock anyway. Lock your tailgate manually after every use...
Old 07-14-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
I will certainly avoid this upgrade now. There's no reason to have a remote tailgate lock anyway. Lock your tailgate manually after every use...
When I use to install alarm wires on jeeps back in the day, I would actually use either galvanized steel or electrical PVC to hide the entire run. I would then disguise the wires in a bundle of additional fake wires. I would then wrap the conduit in a rubber adhesive undercoating. If I end up running the pop n lock, I would do this same approach. Sure it will add about 2hours to the install, but it would make hacking into the wires virtually impossible or at least extremely time consuming.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 PM
POWERCHOKER

I almost bought me a set of Jimmi Jammers while back. Are they even worth a dingley hoot?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:26 PM

i am pretty sure it would be easier to snap the handle off of the tailgate ?

but if he was thinking while he was running the pop n lock wire he should have added a tail gate switch for the alarm he should already have

its also handy to use with a tailgate open light so you don't drive off with it down by accident
Dan jimmy jammers just lead to more door damage before they pop your window glass IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Be careful who you tell!!!!!!-pc120163.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A lock will only keep an honest person honest. If anyone has any ulterior motives, they will find a way to steal/break into what ever is being secured by a lock.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:14 PM

That's true, but what I've discovered is that thieves are generally pretty nervous and time conscious while committing their hanus acts. If you can foil the original attempt to gain entry then you can usually deter them. Case in point, you are much more likely to have an unlock car broken into and a locked car. Or for that matter, a car with a window down will get robbed before one that is secured. It's low hanging fruit. All you are trying to do is make you car less accessible during a theft attempt. Create a scenario that makes a thief think he is taking too long. Easier targets are always out there.

I think the jimmi jammer is probably a great idea, it causes confusion and delay and extra time needed to access a vehicle. All of those help thieves move onto easier targets. But true, a determined theif will get in regardless. Fortunately determined and theif don't generally go in the same sentence (unless trying to get out of a building with safety glass).
Old 07-14-2014, 07:39 PM
POWERCHOKER

I quit shopping around for Jimmi Jammers after realizing my truck was essentially impossible to steal and I would only be adding extra protection towards a smash-n-grab job, which can be achieved without disabling the door locks. I did go with Viper security tint for my windows, but the actual effectiveness is uncertain. I tried to smash my window using a tailgate hitch in the past and I was amazed at the resilience after several attempts...
Old 07-15-2014, 06:30 AM

Good luck breaking out of your truck through the window if you ever end up in the drink.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Good luck breaking out of your truck through the window if you ever end up in the drink.
True that! I think I'd shoot it out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.