Service Engine Light - Rough Shift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 12:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Service Engine Light - Rough Shift

2013 F350 6.7L - 29,500 miles. Earlier yesterday I drove my truck about 20 miles and all seemed normal. Many hours later I went to move my truck from the backyard to the front and noticed the service engine soon light stayed on. It was steady on. I drained some fuel from the lower filter and found no water... WHEW!!! I checked my fuel cap and it was snug and seated correctly. I have noticed lately that the truck feels to be shifting kind of rough in 3rd and 4th gear... usually those gears. I thought it might just be me imagining things and dismissed it. But, now I am wondering if there really is a connection and if so what that could be.

Coincidentally, during two of my oil change services the tech "recommended" I have the transmission serviced. I asked what "serviced" meant and essentially they wanted to flush the system. I thought that was crazy considering at the time the mileage was around 15K and 23K when they brought this up. I've never heard of doing such a thing so early. And, now I have this weird shifting and a check engine light.

Given the year and low mileage I figure whatever is going on should be covered under warranty. Still... it has me a bit freaked out to see that light on. I figure the one killer would have been water in the fuel but I am seeing none of that when I drained about a pint into a mason jar.

Any speculative thoughts on what I might be looking at here? I am going to try to get the truck into the dealership ASAP. Tomorrow if I can get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 12:55 AM
Premium Member

Go to autozone or where ever and see if they can pull any codes. If its throwing a service light then there might be a maintenance fault.. Just grasping straws here for ya.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've got 49k on my 2011 and have not had a transmission service done on it yet. The dealer also has not said anything about needing one.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Im out of town for a few days and away from my book but at what mileage do we flush the transmission? Im curious now... Not trying to hijack here...
Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ford says 150,000 miles on tranny fluid change. It is in the diesel supplement book.
The Following User Says Thank You to blwnsmoke For This Useful Post:
kennyketten (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok the code is P242B which is apparently EGT Bank 1 Sensor 3. I reset the DTC which shut off the check engine light. I cycled the engine on/off several times and drove two separate 15 mile drives. The engine light has not come back on.

So... Could this have been a fluke thing that threw a bogus code? Can that have happened? Or is it more likely that it's going to just return?

Meanwhile, the scan tool continues to show the P242B in spite of no check engine light. I've read that is because it will now be a pending DTC that will remain in memory until something like 40 drive cycles without the problem before it will clear out.

What do you all think? Am I probably going to be okay? Or should I be planning on a repair? Or is it pretty much a toss up?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Actually the DTC is just P242. The B is an identifier specific to the scan tool.

If I did need to replace this sensor is it something that a novice can really do or is it an involved job?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like the typical egt failure. There was a post about this recently, guess ford is having problems with the sensors going bad. It's not to bad of a job to replace them. All 4 are in your exhaust. The third one should be either mid dpf or between your dpf and scr. Only ****ty part is access is a little tight but not impossible.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Be careful working on anything to do with the def system. Had some problems with me and it fell off! Had to put straight 5 inch pipe on mine to get it back running
ceking35 and diesel_forever like this.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good grief. Since I am under warranty I guess I will have to let the dealership deal with it if the check engine light and code return. I hope they don't mostly because it is such a pain to have to take time from work to mess with the dealership and then not have my vehicle for however long it takes them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.