Going from a 7.3 to a 6.7 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 05:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going from a 7.3 to a 6.7

hey everybody. im starting to look around for a newer rig. I do oil field type work, travel a lot and pull a travel trailer everywhere I go. the current rig does fine but it has 340xxx miles. im thinking it time for something a bit newer and more reliable. question is should I go for a 2011 or 2012? is there a difference as far as the bugs being worked out and should I delete all the emissions stuff and throw a tuner on it or keep it stock until the warranty expires provided I find one that still has a warranty? and anyother advise I could get before I go out buying something would also be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The '11s had some turbo and valve issues and these seem to have lagged into the early '12s. The DPF sensors are causing issues across all years but it seems a very high percentage are trouble free. Drive one and you will be sold on it. As far as deleting the exhaust goes, to each his own and there are pros and cons either way. I came from a '02 7.3 and it truly is night and day.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:57 PM

Yea I had a 2011 for a day when my truck got stolen last year. I returned it to the dealer the next day cause I found my old one and been kicking myself for it.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompa00 View Post
hey everybody. im starting to look around for a newer rig. I do oil field type work, travel a lot and pull a travel trailer everywhere I go. the current rig does fine but it has 340xxx miles. im thinking it time for something a bit newer and more reliable. question is should I go for a 2011 or 2012? is there a difference as far as the bugs being worked out and should I delete all the emissions stuff and throw a tuner on it or keep it stock until the warranty expires provided I find one that still has a warranty? and any other advise I could get before I go out buying something would also be great
I have been in the OF as well and am actually about to go back. I have a 5-er but they don't let us keep them on location anymore. For about 5 minutes I thought about getting a Mega Cab to replace my Quad due to the extra storage in the rear seat area being very handy if you're out 4-6 months at a time. They've changed up the front axle to the old quick disconnect (legged with leakage), still haven't figured out the steering linkage issues and have experienced deplorable customer service from Corporate...therefore...they haven't earned my business back. GM...lol...besides 25.7 million recalls this year alone...there may be a reason you mostly see Fords and Dodges in the field...

From my research... the old 6.0 and 6.4's tuned yield the same as what the new one's are putting out. A buddy of mine has an '11 and is very happy with it.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompa00 View Post
hey everybody. im starting to look around for a newer rig. I do oil field type work, travel a lot and pull a travel trailer everywhere I go. the current rig does fine but it has 340xxx miles. im thinking it time for something a bit newer and more reliable. question is should I go for a 2011 or 2012? is there a difference as far as the bugs being worked out and should I delete all the emissions stuff and throw a tuner on it or keep it stock until the warranty expires provided I find one that still has a warranty? and anyother advise I could get before I go out buying something would also be great
Did a little leg work for you...

6 7L POWERSTROKE BREAK DOWN AND INSPECTION - YouTube

Very interesting post. This dude know's his sheet! I've watched this vid several times and pick up new stuff every time...
Old 07-14-2014, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

If I were you Id go for a 13, not much changed, just some minor interior things but they sure are nice!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:19 AM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougstdig View Post
Did a little leg work for you...

6 7L POWERSTROKE BREAK DOWN AND INSPECTION - YouTube

Very interesting post. This dude know's his sheet! I've watched this vid several times and pick up new stuff every time...
Man! I love that dude (yes, full-on homo)...

He's hilarious! I hope he gets a 6.7 one day so he's liable to do more videos on them...
Old 07-14-2014, 12:45 AM
POWERCHOKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHP View Post
If I were you Id go for a 13, not much changed, just some minor interior things but they sure are nice!
Yep. 2013 turbos are supposed to be more reliable and they did some interior upgrades in that year, especially the navigation unit. It sounds like you're set on buying used, but you may be surpised at what some people want for their used trucks nowadays compared to brand new ones.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 AM

Yea I am pretty set on buying used. I may start looking at some 13s. If I can find one with the right price tag. It'll just be hard to find something that's gonna match how reliable my 7.3 is. I'd just hate to buy something and it not be worth a damn.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:47 AM
POWERCHOKER

I feel like the primary weaknesses on a 2011-2014 seem to be the turbo and the emissions systems. If you delete right away, the emissions problem will be solved. There are reliable aftermarket turbo kits available starting at around $3,000. I can't think of much else that would make you feel disappointed. I've driven both 7.3 and 6.0, there's more than enough power on a 6.7 and there are trucks approaching 200k nowadays..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.