Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rolling Coal - Tickets?

18K views 116 replies 47 participants last post by  RigTrash601 
#1 ·
Let's here your stories!

I was heading home tonight from dinner and had this guy riding my ***. Cruising at about 45, I shifted into manual while still in sixth and floored it for a few seconds. It didn't even phase the guy, so I did it again. This time I got a response! Never seen so many lights on the front of a suburban cruiser! He didn't pull me over, just flash his lights real quick and turned off on the next road.

I'm not a huge fan of laying soot but I do use it to my advantage sometimes when being followed to close.

Any run ins with the police over your mods?

2013 F250 6.7 CCSB Fully Loaded Lariat. H&S Mini Max, 5" down pipe back AFE exhaust, egr delete, S&B intake, Ranch Hand Brush Guard, Linex Spray in Bedliner, Recon Smoked Can/Side Mirror Lens, Limo Tint in the back, and legal up front!

#2 ·
Let's here your stories!

I was heading home tonight from dinner and had this guy riding my ***. Cruising at about 45, I shifted into manual while still in sixth and floored it for a few seconds. It didn't even phase the guy, so I did it again. This time I got a response! Never seen so many lights on the front of a suburban cruiser! He didn't pull me over, just flash his lights real quick and turned off on the next road.

I'm not a huge fan of laying soot but I do use it to my advantage sometimes when being followed to close.

Any run ins with the police over your mods?

2013 F250 6.7 CCSB Fully Loaded Lariat. H&S Mini Max, 5" down pipe back AFE exhaust, egr delete, S&B intake, Ranch Hand Brush Guard, Linex Spray in Bedliner, Recon Smoked Can/Side Mirror Lens, Limo Tint in the back, and legal up front!
no but the more attention you draw to your self the more likely it is. guy i know in florida just got a ticket for illegal exhaust and tint and he just had to pay a fine and nothing more. it just depends i guess

#3 ·
My story...

I once had a an old diesel that smoked out anything in 100 yards of it... I pulled the engine and fixed it.

The end.

#4 ·
I blew smoke all over our campus police car once at the red light out of school once.... But then again, Im friends with the captain so he got a good laugh out of it. Plus turned his lights on and sirens.

BUT- I do not generally use my smoke screen..... I dont like being a jerk.... I want a custom tune to clean up the smoke as much as I can!!!

#6 · (Edited)
Not that I'm that old...40's... but maybe it's my age, plus 10 years in law enforcement...years ago... but people just don't think. While you may think it's cool to smoke someone out going down the road, if that person or anyone else gets into an accident, hurts someone or does damage to property you're looking at penalties from very large fines up to going to the penitentiary. Is it really that cool or cool to give someone the idea to do it? What would happen if you came home and learned your parents or child was killed by someone doing this. Would it still be cool? Just trying to get you to think about what you're doing. Things that seem harmless can have very stiff ramifications...for the rest of your life. Driving is a privilege not a right. Everyone has the right to get home safe...

k...I'll get off my preaching stool now...

#9 · (Edited)
I didn't tune and delete my truck with intentions of blowing black smoke. Not once did I ever say it was cool or encourage it. Tailgating a truck of this size without being able to see around it is extremely dangerous. I've seen way too many accidents because of people following too closely and/or traveling too fast for the conditions. People don't think of of scenarios where I could come to a complete stop either intentionally or unintentionally. I'm out in the country and there isn't a car around for miles and people will still tailgate. I guess it will get them to their destination that much faster. When tuning my truck I've set the low boost fueling setting to the lowest possible to minimize soot. When blowing black smoke it isn't enough to hinder anyone's vision like some of these older models.

I wasn't asking for your spew about how it's bad and how you don't agree with it. I wasn't looking situations with high school students rolling coal on smoking women or their buddies faces when they're sticking their head in the exhaust tip. I was simply asking of situations where someone was pulled over for it and their story.

This isn't the 7.3 or 6.0 section. I would assume most of us capable of affording such a truck would have some sort of common sense.

#10 ·
I often drive my truck acting as if I'm the only vehicle on the road. One thing I've noticed is that most people feel uncomfortable around big trucks. This means I'm able to drift into the other lane or pull in front of another car with little to no remorse and hardly any consequence. In regards to people riding on my tail, I find that slowing down is very effective. I've been known to come to a complete stop on occasion. However, I do not recommend performing "brake checks" because this may lead to a highly inconvenient situation for yourself. I try my best not to eject black smoke because getting a ticket would really piss me off...

#12 ·
Lol I almost feel stupid because I cant afford nore thatn my smokey 7.3....

~ The Maddawg

#13 ·
Gee Silvin, why dont you reeeeeeeley tell us 7.3/6/0 guys what you think of us????
You know I may be just one of them dumd 6.0 guys but I cant at least tell if its a cop following me before I do something stupid.......

#15 ·
Yes, this thread is over. Good day, gentlemen.

#17 ·
This is a good reason why folks shouldn't drive in their rearview mirror.

Worry about what's in front of you.

Too bad he didn't pull you over... But unfortunately, being an a$$ is not illegal. :tard:

#23 ·
I believe any drivers handbook or drivers ed instructor will tell you that you should check your mirrors about every 15 seconds so you know of cars around you.

I think that the OP was trying to say he thought we could all be mature about this thread and he used the wrong words in trying to express that.

13' CCSB FX4 6.7, 17"MB wheels, Cooper oversized all terrains, Amsoil 15w40 Diesel/Marine oil with Ea Oil Filter.

Reactions: zin and Dantron
#19 ·
This thread turned into mines better than yours real quick..lol Kind of a senseless remark (in not so many words) to tell members on a public forum to stay out of a 6.7 section if they don't own one. It's funny bc this was the first thread I ever read on the 6.7 forum and I was kind of wondering if members are like "stay in your section" My question was quickly answered....
Maybe one can buy 5 of the 6.7's but they choose their trusty 7.3L around town or to tow for them? Driving one generation to the next has nothing to do with intelligence and I'm sure for many, not even price factor either.

Anyways in my 6.0L back 6 years ago. I had it tuned and at a gathering a cop was asking about the smoke and how it does it. He was quite intrigued after it was explained by a few of us...he probably owns a powerstroke diesel by now...lol

#20 ·
Unfortunatly, the actions of a few have reactions towards the many...

I fall into the "below age 30" crowd and spent the money on my mods/deletes to save money on my truck in the long run... not worry about getting tickets for exhaust and EPA violations. My delete parts are sitting in my garage waiting for a weekend off to put them on yet I still fear all the attention lately towards "rollin coal" is going to cause the typical knee jerk reaction.

For me, and just my personal opinion, the less smoke the beter.. why attract the attention.

#27 ·
Let it go...let it go.

13' CCSB FX4 6.7, 17"MB wheels, Cooper oversized all terrains, Amsoil 15w40 Diesel/Marine oil with Ea Oil Filter.

Reactions: SkiSmuggs
#29 ·
Me to Dantron. I know I don't delete my trucks to black smoke but I have done it accelerating in traffic and know others have way worse stories than that haha.

#33 ·
The OP had an opportunity to provide clarification when I first responded earlier today. He should either apologize, or express the true meaning of his comments.

I've owned every Powerstroke made except the 6.7. They are all cool platforms with their own character and shortcomings. I'll pick up a 6.7 when the emissions systems evolve a little bit more.

Forums are a brutal place to make misplaced comments.

#34 ·
It may have gotten out of control yes, but lets get back on yopic.

Stories! :popcorn:

Whether we meant to do it or not lets here them!

~ The Maddawg

#36 ·
When I had my DP chip in before injectors and such I was going up a hill with a guy tailing me very close. I was going about 45-50 and loosing speed so I tried to stay in the throttle a bit but I was underboosted and it downshifted. Needless to say it left a pretty big cloud and freaked the guy out bad enough that he swerved half way into the oncoming lane. It was a total accident but he backed off and didn't tail me anymore. It was funny for about 20 seconds than I thought about what could have happened had a car been coming in the other lane. Felt bad at that point.

#35 ·
Heck, as a 6.0 peasent the only thing spewing out my tailpipe is white steam! Hahaha..

I digress, to the OP's stated topic. Yes I have been pulled over for roaling coal in my friends truck. It was the CHP and he was pretty cool about it. We were in a Dodge (sorry) that he had just rebuilt and was tunning it up. We explained to the officer what was going on, and he was understanding. He did advise that here in Ca it is a fat @$$ ticket or can be depending on what you were doing to roal coal. Just the excessive smoke is a fixit citation but if they see your sans the cat and dpf your probably goin to the state emissions ref. Thats where the big costs come in. Also pay attention to your local state politics, ive heard about states wanting to co-ordinate with the veh mfgr, insurance and law enforcement to create an accessible data base where your information can be shared freely amongst one another.
I saw the CEO of Ford talking about this technology at the detroit auto show under the guise of saving us money in insurance by uploading our maintnence and driving records to the insurance agency.
Blah...blah...blah...
Point being, you get cited in your 50k+ truck, receive a cite for excess smoke, no cat and deleted DPF, you go to Ford 6 months later for warranty work and they deny your claim due to info obtained via ins/leo agency proving you modified your vehichle.
Sorry for the long post.

#37 ·
No. I disagree. The OP was being an idiot. Intelligence by truck... Alright.

1st - Blowing smoke at an officer. I don't care how you cut it. Stupid. Not sure I'd even want to admit it.

2nd. Let's talk about intelligence vs vehicles owned and operated. I own and operate a fleet of trucks and equipment, new and old. I also CHOOSE to drive an old ford. Because I like it. Pre DPF. Once built, and properly maintained, is very reliable. It just takes time and money to maintain it properly. If I so chooses I could, and have seriously thought about, just going and buying a 6.7. But, I can not get past the price tag. My choice. My issue.

Moreover. If I owned a brand new 6.7, and it blew back smoke. I'd trade the mother in on another truck, or a 7.3 or 6.0 in a heart beat, and that would be after I tore a strip off the dealer owner for selling me a junk truck. But then,... I do own new trucks. They don't blow black smoke. And not at police officers.

Am I, or are we being harsh on this OP, yes. Probably. Is blowing smoke an issue of the day. Yes. So why do it?

Moreover again, if you come onto a public forum, and essentially brag about blowing smoke at a police officer, when the last thing the diesel community needs is more publicity or issues with authority and emissions,.... You better be able to take some punches and little ribbing.

MOREOVER. If you come onto a public forum and insult everyone, and infer their intelligence by their model of truck, and then pick up your ball and go home as if you were five years old. YOU BETTER BE ABLE TO TAKE SOME GO OLD FASHIONED RIBBING!!!

But then again,
This is, just my humble opinion. What would I know. I drive a 6.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.