Trailer Sway Control - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trailer Sway Control

I saw this mentioned in a couple threads regarding mileage, so I did some investigation. I heard that it increases mileage to turn it off. I've noticed a fuel drop the last few months (could be a number of things) so I went and turned it off. Did a short trip and it did surprisingly better on mpg.

Now, I noticed that every time I turn the truck off, and turn it back on, the trailer sway control is automatically on. Does this mean that I have to shut it off each time?

Does it really increase mileage or am I crazy? My short "trip" was just about 15 miles of highway where I reset it (my gauge is usually within .5mpg accuracy) and it did the best it had done in months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrix View Post
I saw this mentioned in a couple threads regarding mileage, so I did some investigation. I heard that it increases mileage to turn it off. I've noticed a fuel drop the last few months (could be a number of things) so I went and turned it off. Did a short trip and it did surprisingly better on mpg.

Now, I noticed that every time I turn the truck off, and turn it back on, the trailer sway control is automatically on. Does this mean that I have to shut it off each time?

Does it really increase mileage or am I crazy? My short "trip" was just about 15 miles of highway where I reset it (my gauge is usually within .5mpg accuracy) and it did the best it had done in months.
Now seriously do you really believe this was a fair assessment of having it turned off to get a substantial improvement? Did you drive this same exact route with the same weather conditions with it turned on to verify? GEEEEZZZZZ
And yes it resets every time the truck is turned off. This is a safety feature so it automatically resets.
The Following User Says Thank You to schrod For This Useful Post:
Iowa 73 (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 04:22 AM

What Schrod said
Old 07-12-2014, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Placebo effect.
rossmelvin and schrod like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa 73 For This Useful Post:
rossmelvin (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Now seriously do you really believe this was a fair assessment of having it turned off to get a substantial improvement? Did you drive this same exact route with the same weather conditions with it turned on to verify? GEEEEZZZZZ
And yes it resets every time the truck is turned off. This is a safety feature so it automatically resets.
Whoah, you mean all of those play factors in mileage? How about type of driving? Like... If I floor it everywhere I go, will it get the same mileage as if I drive like the asian grandma that lives down the street? Please.. I want to learn..

/sarcasm

I brought it up because I saw it mentioned in two separate threads for making a difference.

I have over 40,000 miles on my 2013 F250 with the majority of them being highway. I have a "pretty" good idea of exactly what mileage I will get in all of my typical routes that I drive (I spent 8 months driving 35 miles each way to the gym and 15 miles each way to work) in the exact same route. Both were all highway with varying speeds of 55-70. So, yeah, I typically know about what my mileage is.

The reason I am bringing it up, is because it has significantly dropped over the last 2 months. To the tune of about 2-3mpg. I did a 400 mile round trip last week, and while at a flat 65-73 mph I'd usually get about 16, I got about 14, and it's been like that for a while. I am driving over 1000 miles tomorrow/Monday, however due to my trailer I obviously won't get a good estimate.

Right now I'm trying to explore different options, although turning something off which has always been on (trailer sway control) obviously shouldn't be the indication of while my mileage has changed so much. I have also noticed more re-gen's (seemingly) which is another thing I will need to have looked at, and that I obviously consider if that is the case.

I didn't feel the need to post all of this information in my original post as I would assume that it's understood here that most people understand gas mileage. Not to mention, my post was about trailer sway control and it effecting mileage and turning it off permanently........

My point being is that if I reset my mpg gauge and got 19.5 mpg on a 15 mile trip last night at highway speeds, it was better than anything even remotely close that I've been able to achieve for a very very long time.

Last edited by fordtrix; 07-12-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:

Quote:
Whoah, you mean all of those play factors in mileage? How about type of driving? Like... If I floor it everywhere I go, will it get the same mileage as if I drive like the asian grandma that lives down the street? Please.. I want to learn..

/sarcasm

I brought it up because I saw it mentioned in two separate threads for making a difference.

I have over 40,000 miles on my 2013 F250 with the majority of them being highway. I have a "pretty" good idea of exactly what mileage I will get in all of my typical routes that I drive (I spent 8 months driving 35 miles each way to the gym and 15 miles each way to work) in the exact same route. Both were all highway with varying speeds of 55-70. So, yeah, I typically know about what my mileage is.

The reason I am bringing it up, is because it has significantly dropped over the last 2 months. To the tune of about 2-3mpg. I did a 400 mile round trip last week, and while at a flat 65-73 mph I'd usually get about 16, I got about 14, and it's been like that for a while. I am driving over 1000 miles tomorrow/Monday, however due to my trailer I obviously won't get a good estimate.

Right now I'm trying to explore different options, although turning something off which has always been on (trailer sway control) obviously shouldn't be the indication of while my mileage has changed so much. I have also noticed more re-gen's (seemingly) which is another thing I will need to have looked at, and that I obviously consider if that is the case.

I didn't feel the need to post all of this information in my original post as I would assume that it's understood here that most people understand mileage. Not to mention, my post was about trailer sway control and it effecting mileage and turning it off permanently........

My point being is that if I reset my mpg gauge and got 19.5 mpg on a 15 mile trip last night at highway speeds, it was better than anything even remotely close that I've been able to achieve for a very very long time.
Where you have been buying your diesel fuel and whether or not you are using a cetane booster are also very big factors. Also consider you get gas mileage with a gas engine and fuel mileage with a diesel..........
Old 07-12-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Where you have been buying your diesel fuel and whether or not you are using a cetane booster are also very big factors. Also consider you get gas mileage with a gas engine and fuel mileage with a diesel..........
Neither of those have changed. Either way, the topic here is trailer sway control. Apparently you dont know anything about that, though.

Last edited by fordtrix; 07-12-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:41 PM
-POWERJOKER-

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How is Trailer Sway Control supposed to work? Does it turn on even when you're not pulling a trailer?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
How is Trailer Sway Control supposed to work? Does it turn on even when you're not pulling a trailer?
Yes. You have to turn it on each time manually. From what ive found is it gently applies breaks when the truck sways to prevent the swaying. In turn effecting mileage.

I don't know much about it though which is why I started the thread.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:48 PM
-POWERJOKER-

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Turn it on manually or turn it off manually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.