Do I need a medium duty engine in my pickup? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 01:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I need a medium duty engine in my pickup?

So in my debate over which truck to buy all I hear from the Cummins side is how their engine is medium duty grade while the Powerstroke is more light truck grade. My question is, since I'm not pulling heavy loads or putting mega miles on my truck, do I really care whatever grade the engine is? If I'm not working the engine as hard as it is made for maybe I am hurting it? 99.9% of the time my Harley can do the same job that my truck does. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
They will both do the same job. As of right now, I think the Ford will do a little better than the almighty Cummins. I swapped out my 6.0 for the Cummins, and although the Cummins has more torque off the line, the 6.0 was a pure beast when and if it actually ran. These new 6.7 powerstrokes are turning out to be a really good motor. Drive them both and make your decision.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:14 AM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Those guys are simply cummin all over you. The only way they can blow a load is to erect the idea that their Cummins is more "heavy duty" than a Powerstroke. I don't understand how something with more torque and more horsepower could be considered a "lighter" truck grade. I don't buy into that "not working the truck hard enough" crap either. Get yourself a new 6.7 Powerstroke...
salnazzaro likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dantron For This Useful Post:
texaslimeaide (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 05:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like you are not towing much, so it does not matter. In a daily driver you will be happier with the PS. There are a bunch of people that drive diesels for bragging rights, so pick a side.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Ford dropped the cummins in favor of the powerstroke in the f-650/750 and the 450/550 have always had the powerstroke so I don't see how it's not a medium duty engine.
dannanw and El_Tee like this.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyHoarder View Post
Ford dropped the cummins in favor of the powerstroke in the f-650/750 and the 450/550 have always had the powerstroke so I don't see how it's not a medium duty engine.
I came here to say this so
El_Tee likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I drove both before I bought my 2012 ford and drove them both again before I bought my 2015 ford WOW big improvement on 15 over my 12.

One thing I really wanted was the 6spd manual, but I went with the ford, because I just liked how the ford rode better.
Before my 2012 ford I had 04 dodge 3500 with 430,000 miles that 5.9l cummins was a great motor as was the 7.3l ford, but these 6.7L powerstrokes seem like they are holding up very well and they run like they are chipped from the factory.

Just have to remember there is allot of emission control crap on all of them now know matter what you buy from a new farm tractor to your truck the government as regulated them to the point they will never hold up like the older ones.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 AM

The new Powerstroke is a medium duty engine. It is going into the F-650/F-750, which is a medium duty truck.

2016 Ford F-650-750 Work Trucks | Ford.com

I just had a 2014 Ram 3500 with the Cummins. Never again will I buy one. In the seven months I owned the truck, it was in the shop 8 times. I only had a total of 2460 miles on the truck. Seems to me that the Cummins isn't so "medium duty." That, or Chrysler's quality control is seriously lacking.

Just head over to the Cummins forum and check out the issues thread: I wasn't the only person with the check engine light ordeal.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:14 AM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can't even delete the newer Rams, which goes against everything I've come to know and love in this world.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
You can't even delete the newer Rams, which goes against everything I've come to know and love in this world.
I don't care about the whole delete thing. Spend some time in China or Mexico City and you'll understand how nice it is to have clean air.

But, when I buy a truck for $60-$70k, I do not intend to have a monthly visit scheduled to go to the dealership for various issues. I don't care if Clessie Cummins made then engine himself.

Ford, IMHO, builds a better quality truck. Cummins seems to be resting on their laurels and reputation. Ford seems to be learning from their mistakes and trying to make it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.