Titan Replacement Tank Install Review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 03:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Titan Replacement Tank Install Review

After towing our RV cross country for 3K miles with our puny 26 gallon tank, I finally pulled the trigger on the 50 gallon Titan replacement tank. I don't know why Ford installed such a small tank. I have the crew cab short bed.

I installed it today and wanted to post up a few thoughts about the process while it's fresh on my mind. If you're considering this job, you need to watch epiccowlick's video on Youtube. He goes through the process in great detail although he did unnecessarily remove the fuel tank filler pipe, as he explained in the video.

The Titan arrived in a HUGE box and had a few superficial scratches on the outside. The tank straps were placed inside the tank, which scratched up the inside due to the sharp strap edges. I recommend wiping down the inside of the tank with some damp paper towels, as I did. I found quite a bit of small debris.

As for the install process, it took me around 5 hours. I didn't run into any major hitches, but here are a few random thoughts in case you decide to do this job:

1. Having around 18 inches of socket extensions is helpful.
2. An air ratchet is a BIG time saver and makes the job a lot easier. If you want an excuse to buy one, now you do.
3. The instructions from Titan are very detailed and accurate. I suggest reading through them carefully before starting the job. Don't skim - there are some very important details in the instructions.
4. I have the FX package so, as the instructions say, the front skid plate interfered with the longer Titan tank. I had to remove the that skid plate and notch it with a grinder. The notch was maybe 1 inch deep by 3 inches wide.
5. The Titan does hang a few inches lower than the old tank with skid plate.
6. I used 2 shims on the rear strap and 1 shim on the front strap. You'll know what I mean once you have the tank and are installing it.
7. The instructions say to install the outboard tank straps first. I tried this but it made installing the inboard straps a PITA, at least for me. I gave up and installed the inboard straps first and then the outboard, which was much easier.
8. I had around 3-4 gallons left in the old tank. I placed it on top of my tonneau cover and siphoned it into the new tank. I learned that diesel does not taste good despite its Mountain Dew appearance.
9. When reconnecting the electrical and fuel lines, it's a blind job that I had to do by feel. Make sure you pay attention to how you disconnected. Even blind it was pretty easy.

When I went to fill up, the low fuel light turned off with about 12 gallons in the tank. In other words, the low fuel light will probably turn on with about 12 gallons left, which is basically half the capacity of the old tank. Much better. No leaks so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewtk For This Useful Post:
HighHP (07-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You can go to the dealer and have them to reprogram the "miles to empty' for 50 gal instead of 26. Not sure if the also changes the low fuel light but suspect it might.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:54 PM

So, what was your total cost for this? We are fiver haulers too, and while I stop every three or four hours (maximum, I am traveling with an 8 and 4 year old), I like to be able to fill up where it is convenient, not where there is a station.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:14 PM

While I don't have the Titan replacement tank I do have the a Transfer Flow replacement tank. I have had the dealer reprogram the computer for 50 gallons and can still never get more than 40 gallons in the tank even when the miles to empty light shows single digits. Guessing it's just a percentage to empty thus you'd have about 4-5 gallons in the stock tank when the light comes on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

great job !
one thing i did was to cap off any openings and pressure/soap test before i put the tank in
and sure enough the o ring at the sender was leaking and I had to reseal it

I had read to many stories of people getting done just to find they had a leak and had 50 gallons in the tank LOL
Old 07-05-2014, 05:26 AM

Great write up & review Drew
Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
great job !
one thing i did was to cap off any openings and pressure/soap test before i put the tank in

I had read to many stories of people getting done just to find they had a leak and had 50 gallons in the tank LOL
Good tip, a friend had his titan installed at a shop and fought for months with them over a minor leak that was only really evident when the tank was right full. This method could have saved a lot of the hassle.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:22 AM

Yes thats great info right there, thx Zman
Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
great job !

Thanks and great tip. Too late for me to utilize but hopefully it will help someone else. I did fill my tank up and my driveway has a pretty good slope to it and I don't have a leak. I did follow one important step in the instructions that I doubt most shops follow due to time constraints: retorque the o-ring nuts after 20 minutes. I did that and had to add a decent amount of torque to each nut the second time around.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the tips! I can't wait to put this tank in my 2012 F-350!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.