wierd warning message - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wierd warning message

Just got home from Myrtle beach this past weekend, 1238 miles round trip, towed my TT, 36' weighs 6500lbs dry. On the way down, my DEF went to half full, so I stopped at a truck stop and topped it off. 9 days later I leave Myrtle and about 100miles into the drive, the bells start dinging, I first get a service engine light, then a message pops up and it says, DEF contaminated speed limited to 55 MPH in 200 miles. So I call 8 Ford dealerships as I'm driving(this is on a Saturday around 9am), 2 of the shops are open and have no diesel techs to look at it, the other 6 are closed, so no help, I then call my trusty roadside assistance thru Ford to see if they can help get me somewhere, and I get an answering machine stating they are closed on weekends??? WTH? when do most people travel? Anyway, beside the point of being upset that nobody could help me out, I called Good SAM RV, which I am a member and that guy directed to me to a camping world shop in SC that works on Diesels, they offered to look at it. I went to a station an filled up the diesel tank, and when I started my truck up, the engine light was now gone, and no alarms, so I drove it home hooked up my code reader, an it said 1 fault, code N/A, so I can't look to see if it narrows it down to a sensor or the def injector itself, I doubt this truck monitors quality of DEF, anyway, should I let it go? Or have it checked it out? I erased the code and haven't had it come back. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would have it looked at by someone knowledgeable. even if the system is full of DEF, if it thinks something is wrong, you are still on a wrecker.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:56 AM

I agree with PoorMan. I had an issue with mine when i first got it. same deal, the message popped up, said i had 200 mi till reduced op mode. the next day the message was gone and all apeared normal... until about 180mi later when i was on the highway and it went into limp mode. had to take it to the dealer to get reset. luckily i was not in the middle of a long trip which i was leaving for a few days after all this.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:27 PM

Sounds like its time to delete all that stuff that's just going to break!!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:29 PM

Yup. Guaranteed fix.

Unplug all of the sensors in the exhaust that are going to fail. Unplug the remaining lines and the EGR because it is going to choke and puke somewhere down the line as well. Remove a dozen or so bolts and replace the troublesome DPF with a plain 'ol straight piece of pipe. A couple of bucks and a new piece of electronics later, and the whole DEF problem is solved. You will never see the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message again.

Pretty simple and if done correctly, you don't have to visit the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.