Takeoff shutter when towing a heavy trailer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Takeoff shutter when towing a heavy trailer

I can confirm that airbags solved the takeoff shutter when towing my heavy toyhauler with my 2012 SRW F350 4x4. Used the Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Do the trucks ride smoother with the air bags? I thought about doing some really soft springs to get the truck to ride smooth, and then have the airbags for towing.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It will ride so much smoother with the air bags! Best upgrade that I have done to my truck.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Has anyone installed these on their trucks? I had a set on my old GMC Duramax, it was one of the best additions I did to that truck! My 350 has an overweight spring that will have to come out if I do this and was just wondering if it would be worth the hassle.

Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs

Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

I had the Firestone Ride Rite airbags in my previous truck and now in this one. I think it is, hands down, the best mod you can make to your truck to help improve the ride, level the truck, and keep the truck from squatting and bottoming out. And all of it accomplished with ~60 PSI in the bags; I carry an air tank with me when I'm towing so if I need to unhitch from the trailer, I can let the air out of the bags and then re-inflate them when I hitch up again.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my truck already has a lift (level kit) on it. F250 with icon spring in front and f350 blocks in the rear. will the airbags give it a rake when not towing?? i want the smoothness for when i pull the 5th wheel, but dont like the nose down look...
Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

You're supposed to keep 5 psi in the bags when you aren't needing them. This shouldn't affect ride height. I know it doesn't on mine. Airbags really only help smooth the ride when you have a load. When you're running empty with 5 psi in the bags they really don't do anything for the ride quality. If anything, they make it harsher. You can get a smoother empty ride by removing a leaf from the pack and leveling the truck with the airbags though. Remember, the bigger the bag, the smoother the ride.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyou View Post
I can confirm that airbags solved the takeoff shutter when towing my heavy toyhauler with my 2012 SRW F350 4x4. Used the Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
Good to know but I am swapping for a Dually. I have a Voltage 3950 and my SRW F350 shudders like a wino on a Sunday morning when taking off. Hoping the 4:30 rear end and other necessities of the F450 will solve the issue. Better.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I actually found that if I run 10 psi in the bags while empty, I would get a better ride than with 5psi. As far as rake to the truck, I don't like the nose down either so my truck stays level while towing or not. I run the Firestone bags with on board air compressor. Just a push of a button to change the air pressure.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just an FYI, Ford changed the rear axles partially into the 2015s to fix the shudder that people experience on take off. There is no more shudder (the first batches of 15s did not have the updated axle).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.