2014 F250 4x4 6.7 only 13.7 MPG PLEASE HELP!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 04:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2014 F250 4x4 6.7 only 13.7 MPG PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi to everyone!

I'm new to the site and this might've been already posted but I'm still learning to navigate through here. Anyway, I'm new to having a Powerstroke. I recently switched from owning a Cummins and in March I purchased a 2014
4x4 6.7. Crew Cab. As excited as I am to have this truck I am only getting 13.7mpg. It has a leveling kit with 35" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's. It has 3.55 gears. Otherwise it is all stock. Is this normal??? I have buddy of mine that has the same truck and he is getting 18mpg on his readout. I know that the readout is not always accurate but I just can't seem to make sense of how some are doing so well with their fuel mileage and I am not. I don't drive like a mad man just normal. I have considered a programmer but I'm not sure if I should buy one or not. I just want to have better MPG'S! Can somebody or anybody tell me what the heck is going on??? Any help would definitely be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 05:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That's what I get with mix highway-town driving, I have a cclb on 35s. If you delete people have seen 3+ mpg.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM

It should get better as you get some more miles on it. Your big tires are not helping the mileage. The more stop and go you have the worse mileage you will get. I am probably not telling you anything you haven't heard. With my 2013 Dually, I am getting about the same mileage around town. I have the 3.73 gears.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:51 PM

15.78 mpg overall on my truck 28,000 miles. worst tank was 11.9 and best was 20.4. All logged at each fill up and using excel to calculate. I commute 8 miles to work. The high MPG tank was flat driving and 90% interstate at 70 mph. Hills, stop and go, and cross winds take mileage down (that and a lead foot).

I am happy with my mileage. I have considered different tires (more aggressive) but don't want to sacrifice highway attitude and mileage.

My truck CCLB, 2012, 3.55, 20" stock with Michelins
Old 06-25-2014, 01:00 PM

The more stop & go and short-trip driving you do, the more your truck will go into regeneration or will attempt to regenerate. This KILLS your fuel economy.

My 2013 normally gets around 12 mpg in City driving with lots of short trips. When the regeneration process starts, it will drop to 10-10.5 and won't improve until the regeneration process is complete. If you turn your truck "off" before the regeneration is done, it will start the process again, when you start your truck (and it reaches the required temperature for regeneration). Turn your truck "off" again, before the process is done and you get to start over again. It can be a vicious cycle!

I did the full delete & tuner on my truck and averaged 12 mpg in City driving. Out on the highway, cruising at 75 mph on flat ground, my full delete wasn't any better than with everything "stock" - 17.5 to 18.5 mpg.

All my numbers are hand-calculated, so they are accurate, unlike the truck's mileage computer.

The 2013-2014 models are typically getting 2 to 3 less mpgs than the 2011-2012 models. It is my understanding that when Ford changed the programming from 2012 to 2013, they choked-down even more on emissions.

It's going to take 8,000 to 10,000 miles or more for your motor to loosen-up and start getting it's optimum fuel economy.

One last note: I went from 10w30 semi-synthetic to 5w40 full-synthetic oil and lost .5 to 1.0 mpg. When I went back to the 10w30, the mileage jumped back up. I wouldn't have believed oil could make that much difference, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucpa111 View Post
15.78 mpg overall on my truck 28,000 miles. worst tank was 11.9 and best was 20.4. All logged at each fill up and using excel to calculate. I commute 8 miles to work. The high MPG tank was flat driving and 90% interstate at 70 mph. Hills, stop and go, and cross winds take mileage down (that and a lead foot).

I am happy with my mileage. I have considered different tires (more aggressive) but don't want to sacrifice highway attitude and mileage.

My truck CCLB, 2012, 3.55, 20" stock with Michelins
My truck specs are nearly the same as yours. My overall average mileage hand calculated and tracked in Excel is 16.1 MPG.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckmaniac View Post
The more stop & go and short-trip driving you do, the more your truck will go into regeneration or will attempt to regenerate. This KILLS your fuel economy.

My 2013 normally gets around 12 mpg in City driving with lots of short trips. When the regeneration process starts, it will drop to 10-10.5 and won't improve until the regeneration process is complete. If you turn your truck "off" before the regeneration is done, it will start the process again, when you start your truck (and it reaches the required temperature for regeneration). Turn your truck "off" again, before the process is done and you get to start over again. It can be a vicious cycle!

I did the full delete & tuner on my truck and averaged 12 mpg in City driving. Out on the highway, cruising at 75 mph on flat ground, my full delete wasn't any better than with everything "stock" - 17.5 to 18.5 mpg.

All my numbers are hand-calculated, so they are accurate, unlike the truck's mileage computer.

The 2013-2014 models are typically getting 2 to 3 less mpgs than the 2011-2012 models. It is my understanding that when Ford changed the programming from 2012 to 2013, they choked-down even more on emissions.

It's going to take 8,000 to 10,000 miles or more for your motor to loosen-up and start getting it's optimum fuel economy.

One last note: I went from 10w30 semi-synthetic to 5w40 full-synthetic oil and lost .5 to 1.0 mpg. When I went back to the 10w30, the mileage jumped back up. I wouldn't have believed oil could make that much difference, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

I also see better mileage with 10w-30 vs 5w-30. My truck has 20k miles with a lifetime average of 15.3 mpg.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-25-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckmaniac View Post
I just did my first oil change at 5k miles, and I'm seeing the same thing. I went with 5W40 T6 Rotella, and in the couple hundred miles since the change, my mileage is down about 1MPG. I believe I'll be going back to 10W30 T5 next change.

I'm like you - never would've believed that oil would have made that much difference.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrospec2001 View Post
Hi to everyone!

I'm new to the site and this might've been already posted but I'm still learning to navigate through here. Anyway, I'm new to having a Powerstroke. I recently switched from owning a Cummins and in March I purchased a 2014
4x4 6.7. Crew Cab. As excited as I am to have this truck I am only getting 13.7mpg. It has a leveling kit with 35" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's. It has 3.55 gears. Otherwise it is all stock. Is this normal??? I have buddy of mine that has the same truck and he is getting 18mpg on his readout. I know that the readout is not always accurate but I just can't seem to make sense of how some are doing so well with their fuel mileage and I am not. I don't drive like a mad man just normal. I have considered a programmer but I'm not sure if I should buy one or not. I just want to have better MPG'S! Can somebody or anybody tell me what the heck is going on??? Any help would definitely be appreciated. Thanks!
------------------------------
Hydrospec:

Welcome to the website Sir!

Like you, I have a new 2014 Ford Super Duty Lariat 6.7 also having come out of a 2006 Dodge CTD CR Pickup. Fortunately, I am averaging around 15.5-
16.5 with about 3,500 miles on the truck so far. But, as the other members pointed out, I still have the stock wheels and tires and IMHO those tires are probably affecting your mileage some. I "hand calculate" my mileage but on my 2014 the computer in the truck is pretty close to my hand calculations.

I am also using the "Ford Cetane Improver" Additive every tankful although I can't say whether that is making alot of difference.

--------
John_P
Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hydro, welcome and congrats on the powerstroke.

Can u give some specifics on driving condition, road conditions, environmentals etc.. Autonomous engine analyzers and computers can only go but so far to eliminate external variables and most importantly "the human element". Your 13.7 mpg means many different things depending on a great # of variables. All diesels have differen power bands, it will take some time for you to harmonize with the querks and characteristics of the powerstroke. Cummins and power strokes, both very good engines, and both behave differently. Do some testing and record your results. You will find her sweet spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.