Aftermarket headlight question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarket headlight question

After searching numerous forums I have yet to find any info on my current dilemma. I have the spyder auto smoked head lights and want to run HIDs in them. I currently have Hids in my factory lights and plan on using all the same harnesses and ballasts in the low beam of the Spyders. My question/problem now is running the wiring for the high beam HID, being that the truck side and spyder side is only a single plug this will not allow the wiring of two seperate ballast for the two seperate HID lights. My thought on this is to cut the plug on the truck side and spyder side and make them into two seperate plugs (one for the lows and one for the highs) there fore allowing me to wire both with HID kits. If this works my next dilema is having the lows and fogs remain on when activating the highs. I have read about the brite box route, but a bit pricey and not sure if that would work after I modify the factory plugs. Yes I know there are laws about the number of lights being on at one time, but when I use my high beams it is on back roads that are not heavily traveled very dark, lots of wildlife and of course when there is on coming traffic I switch the highs off anyways. Anyone have and experience or input on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No one has any thoughts or suggestions??
Old 02-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

As far as running 2 seperate HIDs thats easy. You can buy oem pigtail plugs, I think PICO sells them, Id buy one so you can keep your factory headlight plug intact just incase you ever wanna go back to stock. So then from the new plug you have that will plug into your stock headlight plug you should have 3 wires, your ground and HIGH + LOW power. the Ground is now useless, but you can use the high and low to run 2 seperate relay harnesses to power 2 seperate HID systems, thus having high and low. You should always run relay harnesses for HIDs anyways, all the kits come plug and play into the stock headlight plugs but you can burn out headlight switches and wiring like that, the OEM harnesses cant support the load. Then your gonna have a real expensive problem to fix potentially.

As far as having all the lights on at once, thats gonna take alot more creative wiring and I dont even think its possible, the older 6.0 trucks you just had to change some wires in the fuse box, but these new ones run CANBUS Im pretty sure and its all computer controlled. Unless the dealer can hook into the system and change a feature to allow them all to be on at once your pretty much SOL.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright thanks for the info. After a little more research I actuall found an HID harness for the H13 plug that allows it to be split to control four seperate lights. After I went back and looked at my original HID set up on the factory lights I was only using one of the headlight plugs from the truck to power both lights. So this new harness I found on ebay is basically the same setup but it splits into 4 connections instead of two and already has the inline relays and fuses. So I believe I have solved that issue. GUess will know for sure one I have it in my hands. As far the other issue of being able to have all the lights on when highs are on I have been considering the bright box route, but not sure how this will work with only having using one harness to power all my lights. Because if I have been looking at the correct brite box for my year model truck (2011) it comes with 2 boxes which I am assuming I wont need since only using one side of my trucks plug. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.