Coolant Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 04:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Leak

I have a coolant leak I cannot locate myself on my 2011. I have been all over it while its running and don't see a leak. I took it to local mechanic, he said he pressurized system and saw it was leakin but didn't know why or exact spot. Told me was back side of motor by egr cooler but I have all of that removed so its throwing me for a loop. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, is there any way I can pressurize this myself to check it out? What tools and where do I get it? No diesel mechanics worth mentioning anywhere close go me so if there is some on here I'd appreciate some help. Thanks
CascadeF250 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Small leaks are hard to find. My water pump had a leak but would only show up when the motor was really warmed up or when it sat overnight and got really cold. You can buy a coolant kit from any auto parts store. I got mine for harbor freight. Used it and took it right back. If you kit a kit go a few over the recommended psi and you'll probably find your leak

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-10-2014, 06:11 PM

I had a coolant leak comming from the drivers side. Never could see it or signs of it, although I did not put in much effort looking. I could smell it though and took it in. Turned out to be a coolant fitting going into the turbo.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM

My mechanic told me there is a known issue with the connections at the heater core having a leak. Mine is doing that very intermittently so not real worried right now. Shows up behind the passenger foot area...under the truck. And it has to be the right circumstances for it to do it.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 AM

I have one on top of the engine going to the turbo but shows up on the passenger side.apperantly they put a quik connect on it that leaks. it puddles up on top of the engine and comes out in weird places. my dealer told me the only way to find it is to pop all the crap on top of the motor off. they didn't have parts to fix at that time though. i'm going in for the 12-2-5 tsb on 4x4 this week
Old 02-11-2014, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea mine also has been known to be intermittent. I bet it is a fitting or something weird. When I get a chance and this extreme weather warms up. I am going to rent or buy a tester and go over this bad boy with a comb. Really annoys me smelling antifreeze.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've had that leak near the turbo fixed. Now I'm having to buy a new radiator! Looks like its leaking from the drain, but its really coming from the top of the rad running down. Noticed it when I put my 2wd valence on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deere Diesel Man For This Useful Post:
HCFR34 (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere Diesel Man View Post
I've had that leak near the turbo fixed. Now I'm having to buy a new radiator! Looks like its leaking from the drain, but its really coming from the top of the rad running down. Noticed it when I put my 2wd valence on.
How many miles do you have? And what's a rad worth??
Old 02-13-2014, 06:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I do know when I done egr delete the plastic drain valve on the passenger side is a mofo to work with. Mine was seized up and in that location, almost impossible to turn. Bad idea for drain valve/plugs imo
Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftdaddy View Post
How many miles do you have? And what's a rad worth??
85k. New rad worth? I think they list for $870? But I got mine for a good bit cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.