6.7 for a dd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 for a dd

Looking to buy a DD pickup to hold up to 7 days a week, 50k a year, 200k miles from when i buy to before I sell it. Only looking to spend about 30, and have too many options to choose from. Mainly just highway 200 miles a day, but weekends hauling my Camaro and home improvement projects.

Used 6.7 under 100k
Used LML under 100k
Leftover 2013 ecoboost
New 2014 5.3 silverado
Used 05-06 cummins
Used 10-12 cummins
03-06 silverado (pre displacement on demand)

Worth a shot asking on here, do the 6.7s have too many emissions issues to not murder me in repairs? Not liking that ford, gm or dodge all have DEF issues, hate DPF fuel sucking capability, carbon issues on DI gas motors blow, 6.0s need to be bulletproofed, pre 05 rode like crap, LBZs are overpriced (but so are 05-06 cummins, but at least they last 400k miles), I don't know

Last edited by Tinkerinmatt; 02-03-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I love my 6.7 but don't have many miles. you might consider a 10 250 and delete it. the 6.4 is a wicked animal deleted and tuned. I had a 10 250 but ran the 275 tune with no issues until I brought into the dealer. i'm guessing the mechanic did a 4x4 launch cause I got it back with blown head gaskets. if I had to do it again it would be an 09-10 lariat deleted with the Spartan 210 tune.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 PM

as for the other trucks , my two buddies each have ecoboost and one did a tranny the other a turbo. lots of guys have dodges of all years and they ride like hay wagons. and before anyone rips me a new one,this is just my experience with these trucks!! just giving you something to think about,not educated deeply in any topic but I work with a few hundred guys and a sea of trucks.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The ecoboost and new DI 5.3 scare me because nobody has solved the carbon on the intake valves issue. Since the truck will be unloaded the vast majority of the time, the harsh ride of the 7.3 and dodge pushes me away. 6.4s I don't know, will they last 200-300k miles? Or is a 6.0 better? Or being driven every day, will I not experience the urea issues of a 6.7?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:11 AM

Does your work pay for your gas? If your commute is that long and you don't need a truck for work, I would just get a small fuel efficient beater to go to/from work each day. Save probably 700-800/mo on gas as well.

Not to mention repairs of getting a high mileage 6.7 out of warranty, should that arise.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

56.5 cents a mile they pay. Fuel mileage definately helps, more money in my pocket. Throwing around LBZs, deleted 6.4s and LMMs, and 03-04.5 cummins now, all seem to get around 22 if done right with deletes and tunes. LML and 6.7 I'm still just wondering if I left it alone and just drove every day, would it be reliable or still present problems with emissions crap? The new ones are just so quiet and ride so nice.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:38 AM

I personally think 22mpg with any diesel would be a stretch especially if you leave it stock. I consider myself a "grandpa like driver" with my tuned and deleted 6.4 I average 16-17mpg city driving in the summer and 14-15mpg winter driving in southern Wisconsin. The only time I spend anytime on the highway with my truck a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer is being towed behind it and I average 14-15mpg but either way I can't see myself getting much better than 18 maybe 19 highway unload that's I a extended cab short bed F-350 although I do have 3.73's and 20" rims with pretty aggressive tires so I'm sure with a 3.55 gear or 3.31 and 18" rims with basic all-terrain tires I could do a little better?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerinmatt View Post
56.5 cents a mile they pay. Fuel mileage definately helps, more money in my pocket. Throwing around LBZs, deleted 6.4s and LMMs, and 03-04.5 cummins now, all seem to get around 22 if done right with deletes and tunes. LML and 6.7 I'm still just wondering if I left it alone and just drove every day, would it be reliable or still present problems with emissions crap? The new ones are just so quiet and ride so nice.
Haha, I hear ya on that. I have a 6.7 that's my DD, 2013 with 30k on the clock. My work pays for my gas and I have a 15k lb 5th wheel (I only tow a couple times a year but still) so it works out pretty good.

Really, if you're looking at a 6.7 with 100k miles. It'll already be out of warranty, so why not just delete all the emissions crap? You'll see an increase and mileage and less headaches to deal with. as soon as I hit 100k that's what I plan on doing. I would now if work didn't pay for my gas, but since they do it's not worth voiding my warranty just for the power and reliability (reliability isn't as important since any issues that would arise are still covered)

That being said. I love my 6.7. It's perfect. I have virtually nothing I would change about it other than the obvious (more power, better gas mileage, etc) but you can say that about ANY truck, and even if I got 25mpg, I'd still prefer more lol. It's huge and feels like a truck, but it's quiet and on the highway with bumps it rides more like a suv or car.

My girlfriend and I drove from south Alabama to northwest Iowa over Christmas. 23-25 hours each way. We drove straight through, and were beyond comfortable.

If you get a higher mileage 100k. I'd look for one that is a one or two owner, not used for business or a TON of heavy towing. If you can get the maintenance records that's a huge plus as well. I have a feeling many people don't change their fuel filters as often as necessary and that's incredibly critical, the fuel filters are not overly cheap and need to be changed more often than most vehicles, which I have a feeling some people that do their own maintenance may get around. Or those that go to the dealer, may not want to pay for.

Last edited by fordtrix; 02-04-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm looking for something with less than 100k, been stalking autotrader and some pop up in random parts of the country for under 30 with under 100k, but most are 11s. I would get a beater car but most of my jobsites need good ground clearance from dump truck ruts. My current ranger hates me, I think the front suspension is going to separate itself from the truck and leave me flipping me off as it walks off into the sunset dribbling rocks that have lodged themselves between the oil pan. Whatever I buy needs to give me 4 years, 200k miles of low cost ownership.

Last edited by Tinkerinmatt; 02-04-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 AM

Another thing to consider is if you go 2011, some of the earlier build models have a few kinks they worked out in the 12's and 13's (turbo issues)

Granted, the turbo isn't insanely expensive to fix, but it would definitely steer me away from a 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.