Should I Tow Long Distances With 10w-30? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I Tow Long Distances With 10w-30?

Dealer is telling me I should stick with 10w-30 oil even though I tow 15k well over the 1000k mile recommended in the manual. Does anyone else tow heavy and far with this oil or are you using the 5w-40? Also can I get a 5w-40 in non synthetic??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would like some feedback on this topic as well.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Me Too????
Old 02-02-2014, 02:09 PM

I've read several threads on oil viscosity, but there is not much on if they are towing with the 10w-30.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Run 5/40 I tow 6k+ everyday I work sales and service for Bobcat and i deliver and pick up in my rig, I have a very good friend who is a lead diesel tech for Ford and he says the 6.4s and 6.7 love full syn 5/40 and recommends Valvoline trublue and uses it in his personal truck. Ive been using it since nearly new and have never had a problem and still looks very good when draining.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the base stocks in 10w30 are more durable than some 5w40s on extended drains. I do not think you will see any short term effects with a conventional 10w30 but a full synthetic will excel in long term effects.

if the low pressure oil system of a heui truck can survive rotella (in my opinion the worst oil on the market) then there isn't much that will kill a common rail with an oil life monitor.

but seriously do you love your truck? if so then use the best 5w40, 10w40, 15w40 full synthetic that money can buy. oil is cheap compared to an engine.

oil that costs $10 per qt over 8000 miles figures to $0.00125 per mile.
$3 per qt cheap oil is $0.000375 per mile.

ignore the price tag and buy the good stuff, oil and filters is one of the cheapest things we can do to our trucks IMO
figure the cost per mile and then factor fuel economy and longevity and you will see it as a no brainer.
TW720HVY and "Stroker 8" like this.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWER-STRUCK View Post
the base stocks in 10w30 are more durable than some 5w40s on extended drains. I do not think you will see any short term effects with a conventional 10w30 but a full synthetic will excel in long term effects.

if the low pressure oil system of a heui truck can survive rotella (in my opinion the worst oil on the market) then there isn't much that will kill a common rail with an oil life monitor.

but seriously do you love your truck? if so then use the best 5w40, 10w40, 15w40 full synthetic that money can buy. oil is cheap compared to an engine.

oil that costs $10 per qt over 8000 miles figures to $0.00125 per mile.
$3 per qt cheap oil is $0.000375 per mile.

ignore the price tag and buy the good stuff, oil and filters is one of the cheapest things we can do to our trucks IMO
figure the cost per mile and then factor fuel economy and longevity and you will see it as a no brainer.
Is there a full synthetic 10w30 out there anywhere that I am over looking.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Royal Purple
Old 02-02-2014, 04:00 PM

Ok, great info, however I would like to know if there is anyone towing heavy with the 10w-30?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 PM

YES, I do . . . . .

I get my truck serviced every 5000 miles in the Quick Lane at dealership. It has what ever Ford recommends in it every time. I think that would be regular Ford Power Stroke oil in 10W30 weight? I have never asked because of the 100k warranty and the fact that the truck is serviced exclusively there. If it has a lubrication related issue - it is their problem. I just drive it.

I tow a large toy hauler mostly in hot weather. They know this at dealership. If you check my location, you will see I mean HOT. I take a full rig that scales a little over 26k gross combined weight to the Sturgis rally every year in August. It is normally over 110 degrees when we leave on that trip. I drive too fast when I have a long trip so I am not kind to the truck. It gets 7 mpg on that run so as you can see, , , I have my foot all the way in it. 70 mph if I am driving slow or Smokey has been reported on the CB. 75 to 80 when clear. Yes, I have put 2 grand of rubber on the RV so it can take that speed and weight. I run like this for about 17 hours one way on this trip. I carry a 60 gal aux tank in the bed and only stop one time for fuel each way. The truck is worked to the max on this run. The throttle could be wide open for several minutes at a time - no mercy!

I have never had a lubrication issue following manufacture's recommendations with any vehicle.

Many people think, by mistake, that regular oil is regular oil and one brand is same as another. Fact is, Ford has a huge stake in how their oil performs as they must foot the repair bill if it fails. Ford specs the Power Stroke oil to be blended to satisfy the needs of our trucks. Whereas Mobil, Shell, AmsOil and all the others just want to sell you a quart of oil. They do not care if it is right for your truck or not. They sell oil - period.

With all the testing Ford did before selling the Scorpion to us I am sure they did the home work on oil and the engine and lubricating system was designed to function as a unit. If you use what they require - you will be fine.
RJC2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.