Breaking in a new 2014 f250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Breaking in a new 2014 f250

Hey guys I was kinda of wondering , I bought my truck right after Christmas and the weather has been in the negative numbers almost everyday since I've bought it. Is my brand new Diesel engine getting the worst possible kind of break in? I let it run about 10 minutes or so before I go anywhere and I'm easy on the throttle. She has about 900 miles on her and seems to run perfect. Hopefully I'm just worrying about it for no reason, but when you spend 62k for a new truck you start to see every possible reason something could go wrong down the road...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You're good! I'd just make sure the drives are long enough to get warmed up and broke in. I.e. not 5 minute trips at 20mph the whole time.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM

I think you be fine, just do your best to get her up to 190 -200 degrees oil temp when you can as this is full op temp.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverp View Post
I think you be fine, just do your best to get her up to 190 -200 degrees oil temp when you can as this is full op temp.
190! Holy crap Ill be lucky to get it up to 140-150 in these cold temps, and thats after cruising around for a couple hrs, good mix of hwy and city driving.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Yeah this weather is rough on the equipment. Especially trucks with dpf's still on them. Drove my truck for a few hours the other day and it barely got into the 150's. I'd imagine with it being this cold, the trucks prolly don't get real hot to go through a regen good.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
Yeah this weather is rough on the equipment. Especially trucks with dpf's still on them. Drove my truck for a few hours the other day and it barely got into the 150's. I'd imagine with it being this cold, the trucks prolly don't get real hot to go through a regen good.
Just driving around town in traffic in this cold my truck will take forever to regen, get it out on the hwy and do a few full throttle runs and it heats up the egts pretty fast
Old 01-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I wonder if anybody puts a radiator blocker / wrap on their truck to get the temps up? Here in Maryland, I haven't had my truck over 160-170 degrees in weeks. I just can't get it up to full operating temp, no matter what - it's just too cold outside. I've thought about having my wife make a 1/2 radiator cover just to get the temps up a bit.

Greg
Old 01-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzf1999 View Post
Hey guys I was kinda of wondering , I bought my truck right after Christmas and the weather has been in the negative numbers almost everyday since I've bought it. Is my brand new Diesel engine getting the worst possible kind of break in? I let it run about 10 minutes or so before I go anywhere and I'm easy on the throttle. She has about 900 miles on her and seems to run perfect. Hopefully I'm just worrying about it for no reason, but when you spend 62k for a new truck you start to see every possible reason something could go wrong down the road...lol

Congrats on the new truck...
Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post
I wonder if anybody puts a radiator blocker / wrap on their truck to get the temps up? Here in Maryland, I haven't had my truck over 160-170 degrees in weeks. I just can't get it up to full operating temp, no matter what - it's just too cold outside. I've thought about having my wife make a 1/2 radiator cover just to get the temps up a bit.
I cut up a cardboard box and dropped it in front of the rad, I dont know if it made that much of a difference, I was contemplating going to get the FIA winterfront. I dont think it helped much for decreasing warm up time but possibly got a few more degrees once it was warmed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.