Used 2011 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Used 2011

Hi folks I'm new to this forum and a previous 7.3 powerstroke owner. I am in the market for a used diesel truck in the next few months. I have looked online and seen a few 6.7's that are in my budget however they have between 125k- 150k on the clock. What kind of mileage can you expect to get out of these engines before you need to sink a bunch of money into them? My previous 7.3 needed only fluid changes and 1 cps to get me to 260k before I sold it do these new engines have similar reliability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

6.7 seems to be doing pretty good compared to the **** box 60 and 6.4, should of kept the 7.3, my opinion
Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 7.3 isnt even in the same category as 6.7. First off an engine actually has to make some power to break so no wonder the 7.3 lasts so long. The V6 in my caddilac srx puts out more horsepower and almost as much torque as the 7.3. And if you take care of anything itll last as long as you want it to. My 6.0 was a great example of that and it would still put a 7.3 to shame. My 6.7 hands down is the most refined 3/4 ton truck i've owned and has been very reliable. All while making twice the horsepower and twice the torque as the 90's technology 7.3. Just sayin

Last edited by nikky_dean; 01-27-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The 6.7 is a nice truck, but I guarantee you that in the long run the 6.7 will cost you more than the 7.3. It requires the cab to be removed for a lot of engine repairs/ work vs the 7.3 doesn't require cab removal for engine work. So that's something to consider- you got the cash to do pay for cab off repairs? Depending on shops, it runs between $1,000-1,800 for cab removal, or do you plan to do it yourself. Check the price of injectors vs a 7.3. Everything cost way more on a 6.7 vs a 7.3. Yeah I love the newer diesels but I sure can't afford to fix them when they need it. I can afford to fix my 7.3 and I can do the work in my driveway vs a 6.7.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-28-2014, 03:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikky_dean View Post
The 7.3 extremely even in the same category as 6.7. First off an engine actually has to make some power to break so no wonder the 7.3 lasts so long. The V6 in my caddilac srx puts out more horsepower and almost as much torque as the 7.3. And if you take care of anything itll last as long as you want it to. My 6.0 was a great example of that and it would still put a 7.3 to shame. My 6.7 hands down is the most refined 3/4 ton truck i've owned and has been very reliable. All while making twice the horsepower and twice the torque as the 90's technology 7.3. Just sayin
Well my 7.3 was chipped and I was extremely happy with the power, I just really like the look of the new truck. Does the 6.7 have about the same power as a 7.3 with the chip in the 120 setting?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:45 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstrokinva View Post
Well my 7.3 was chipped and I was extremely happy with the power, I just really like the look of the new truck. Does the 6.7 have about the same power as a 7.3 with the chip in the 120 setting?

Not even close lol. The 6.7 will whip the 7.3 like a red headed step child

Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
zica had a cupped 7.3 in my EX and loved it. It was a very easy engine to work on and did everything I asked of it BUT........

I would not trade my 6.7 KR for a dozen 7.3s even with the "potential" maintenance costs of the 6.7.

The 6.7 will be my last tow truck and I expect to get 15 years out of it. Much more comfort, technology and capability comes with some expense.

There is no free lunch.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 AM

I'm glad you like your truck dude, it looks good and I' sure she runs great. But I dont really see the point of your argument. Of course the 6.7 injectors are more money, they're capable of up to 5 injection events per combustion cycle resulting in a much quieter more efficient burn. The HEUI injectors in the 7.3 are pretty old technology, reliable yes but its like comparing a motorola razor flip phone to an Iphone 5s. And honestly you could have a 150-200 rwhp chip and the 6.7 would still be more powerful. Difference is that 7.3 better have a lot of tranny work done to it for that to work. I guess what I'm saying is that a 78 highboy is easier to work on to but it's no where near the truck either

Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/QUOTE]
Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 AM

I'm glad you like your truck Mts678, it looks good and I' sure she runs great. But I dont really see the point of your argument. Of course the 6.7 injectors are more money, they're capable of up to 5 injection events per combustion cycle resulting in a much quieter more efficient burn. The HEUI injectors in the 7.3 are pretty old technology, reliable yes but its like comparing a motorola razor flip phone to an Iphone 5s. And honestly you could have a 150-200 rwhp chip and the 6.7 would still be more powerful. Difference is that 7.3 better have a lot of tranny work done to it for that to work. I guess what I'm saying is that a 78 highboy is easier to work on to but it's no where near the truck either

Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Old 01-28-2014, 05:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
Not even close lol. The 6.7 will whip the 7.3 like a red headed step child

Wow! I will deffinetly need to drive one then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.