Snow Plow or no Snow Plow... That is the question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Snow Plow or no Snow Plow... That is the question

Hey guys maybe someone can help me out here. I have been itching to make some extra money and a few friends have been telling me to put a plow on my rig. I am more worried about all the horror stories of how it messes up the truck. But on the flip side the $90/hr sounds appealing. I also found out that if you are a sub for a company that you do not need commercial liability because you are covered under theirs. Lots of pros and lots of cons... My head is spinning. Can anyone help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've had a plow on my F250 since it was new in 2001 and I commercial plow. 152,000 and going strong. Replaced the ball joints at 105,000 the rest is just normal maintanance. Ask yourself, I make 750.00 to 1000.00 each time it plows, would it be worth it? I've plowed about 12 times since november 28th. Rough guesstimate 5-6 thousand per month.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:56 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

If you are in an area that sees lots of snow every year, then I'd say go for it. Only other thing I'd say is one con I can see up front is the cost of the plow and setup. A friend of mine showed me a couple plows that he sells, and they ranged from $3500 for a SnowDog all the way to $5000 for a Fisher plow, and it was more for the the V-plow and the stainless.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Go for it! Make your truck work, I've had plows on all my trucks and as long as your the only one plowing with it then you'll know it wasn't abused. I do a trans flush every year after the plowing seasons over. I'd go with a straight blade plow, less weight and less complicated! I do commercial and have a 9' western on my truck, wider is nicer it keeps my truck farther away from bushes or anything along the curbs. As I said go for it!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM

I almost pulled the trigger on a 8'6" Fisher xtreme V SS but after sleeping on it (the idea of buying it not the actual plow) the $7000 price made me second guess the idea. Then I started looking at Boss super duty 8'6" straight blade for $5200. I plowed years ago with a straight blade plow on someone else's truck that was pretty beat up to begin with. One of my accounts is mostly private roadways and parking lots and the other account would be HOAs and commercial parking lots. I'm just nervous too about dropping big money late in the season but after this winter so far I feel that in the next two months we could have more snow but not sure how much. I guess it's a Catch 22.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 PM

I know you have to plow with something. Me, I wouldn't use my truck for plowing snow unless I absolutely had to. I use my 75HP tractor with bottom trip Meyer plow on a quick attach plate using my loader.

Plowing takes its toll on the truck...are they built to "handle" plowing? Yes...but it's a source of wear and tear no matter what. It just boils down to whether the economic impact is worth it to you.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2designs View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on a 8'6" Fisher xtreme V SS but after sleeping on it (the idea of buying it not the actual plow) the $7000 price made me second guess the idea. Then I started looking at Boss super duty 8'6" straight blade for $5200. I plowed years ago with a straight blade plow on someone else's truck that was pretty beat up to begin with. One of my accounts is mostly private roadways and parking lots and the other account would be HOAs and commercial parking lots. I'm just nervous too about dropping big money late in the season but after this winter so far I feel that in the next two months we could have more snow but not sure how much. I guess it's a Catch 22.
For the price of the v plows and all it's not worth it unless you need it, I swapped my straight blade for a wideout one year and used it once sold it and got another straight blade, simpler is better IMO. I've heard that February is supposed to be the month with the most snow and we've already gotten a decent amount here in SE Pa so you can probably make the plow pay for itself, if not your ahead of the game for next year!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:34 PM

Sal where are you in sepa? I'm in phoenixville outside of valley forge.
The Following User Says Thank You to a2designs For This Useful Post:
alaskan155 (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 04:42 PM

I have the fisher xtreme v ss and love it. As long as you don't beat on the truck, and always wash it after plowing, you should not have a problem. My dad has had a plow on his 2000 7.3 since new, and his 2008 f450, and no problems with rust.

On his 450 and my 250, we both have the fisher xtreme v ss, his being the 9'6" with wings (about 11' wide). Great plow, never had a problem with any of them.Snow Plow or no Snow Plow... That is the question-imageuploadedbyautoguide1390786920.235739.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-26-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2designs View Post
Sal where are you in sepa? I'm in phoenixville outside of valley forge.
Small world I'm from Perkiomenville about 10 minutes from limerick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.