Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How long is too long to idle for warm up in the morning??

13K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  greenmntboy 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a question...I have a new 2014 F250 and I need to know if letting it warm up 10 to 15 minutes in the morning and before I get off work is too much. I live in Illinois and it's crazy cold this winter. Sucks breaking in a brand new engine in this weather. New to diesels so you input is appreciated. Thanks...

#2 ·
Its better to drive your truck when its warm than cold. My truck usually warms up for about half hour before I drive in the winter.

#3 ·
I idle my truck for 10-15 mins every morning and have never had a problem I would just change your oil alittle more frequently than every 7500 like it wants you to a lot of your fuel is getting into your oil while idling cold causing the oil to break down prematurely.

#5 ·
In the winter time I try and warm the oil up to at least 100F minimum. The odd time if I'm in a hurry I'll drive at about 90F but I'll drive very easy till it warms up more. For the trams temperature I'm not too worried about that as long as it's not too cold.

#6 ·
Idling doesn't do much to really warm up the engine. Your oil and coolant will really warm up quicker if you just start driving. The added boost from the turbo pushed the combustion temps up and result in the engine block, oil and coolant coming to temps faster.

I've watched my gauges and done several test.
I can start the truck, let it idle for 1 minute to get the oil circulating and then drive through my residential area at 25 mpg and be MUCH warmer than if I left the truck to idle for 15 minutes.

These engine produce EGTs of around 300° at idle. Just an easy drive to exit the neighborhood produces 450-500° of EGT. By time I reach the freeway on ramp, my coolant temps is already up to 150-160° vs 10 minutes of idling and my temps are only 80°.

The Rapid Heat option produces supplemental heat to the cab when the coolant temps are below 100°. Once your coolant reaches 100° the supplemental heat turns off and the heater core just uses the coolant to supply the heat. The Rapid Heat is a 1500 watt heater coil in the heater assembly. It doesn't produce a lot of heat, but will get the windshield defrosted.

I've even done the Fast idle. Setting the idle up to 1100 rpm for 10 minutes still does not get the engine oil or coolant as warm as 5 minutes of normal driving.

Start your engine, give it a minute to get the oil circulating and then just drive in a normal manner. This will warm your engine up faster and is better for the engine than extended idling.

#12 ·
I've been doing this since my '11 and continue with my '13. Not saying it's the only way, or the right way to do it, but it's just the way I do it and have had zero issues.

#9 ·
I also use a oil pan heater and even when it's -35C the oil pan is just over +20 degrees

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
There's a ton out there just do a web search. I got the biggest that would fit on the back side of my oil pan just make sure it's at least an inch down from the oil level in your pan and seal the edges with high temp silicon glue.

#14 ·
I don't think 5 minutes is excessive. 10 or more minutes sounds like a lot to me. But hey, what do I know.

#18 ·
As long as you take it easy or get an oil pan heater, they're great. -35C I have a oil pan temperature little over +20C :)

#20 ·
I always let mine idle for about 10 minutes each morning. I can't see it hurting it... I have 29000 miles and less than 700 total idle hours which I believe is very very low for the amount of miles... Some people on job sites sit in their trucks half the day with the trucks idling. Not the end of the world but not ideal IMO. I've heard it can cause certain problems not being ran enough.

#23 ·
Your truck can't tell you that but my GPS unit tells me the amount of traveling time as apposed to total time.

This post has been deleted
#28 ·
My 7.3 didn't like to get out of its own way unless she warmed up for 15 min. Been that way for 2 years. Figured that's just how she was. Got a new CPS a week ago... Night and day. She started up this morning at -3 and in 5 min was driving around just fine. (had to tow my sister-in-law out of a snow drift) That's one thing I still do. I always drive slowly at first to get the fluids warmed up. I live 1 mile from the highway, but I'll drive several blocks around town first before I push her to highway speed.

#31 ·
On the cold mornings we have been having around here (3 degrees this moring) I let mine idle for 3 to 5 minutes mainly to let the seat and steering wheel warm up a bit and have had no problems.
Jack

#32 ·
In my Rapid-Heat Sup Cab Heater spreadsheet (link in sig) I did some tests and there are graphs showing the oil temp values during the first 10 or 12 minutes of running in cold weather. After the first 2 or 3 minutes it's pretty linear out to the 12 minutes of testing that I did.

On a side note with the cold temps we've had recently I've noticed that when the temperatures are <10 degrees F that engine will idle up to around 1000 rpm when then oil temp is below 140 F. Over 140 it idles down some. My theory is the truck is programmed to maintain 140 degree min oil temp when temps are <10 degrees.

#34 ·
I drive as soon as the exhaust back pressure valve turns off on high idle.... For the 7.3l guys haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.