How long is too long to idle for warm up in the morning?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 03:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long is too long to idle for warm up in the morning??

Hey guys I have a question...I have a new 2014 F250 and I need to know if letting it warm up 10 to 15 minutes in the morning and before I get off work is too much. I live in Illinois and it's crazy cold this winter. Sucks breaking in a brand new engine in this weather. New to diesels so you input is appreciated. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its better to drive your truck when its warm than cold. My truck usually warms up for about half hour before I drive in the winter.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I idle my truck for 10-15 mins every morning and have never had a problem I would just change your oil alittle more frequently than every 7500 like it wants you to a lot of your fuel is getting into your oil while idling cold causing the oil to break down prematurely.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 PM
-POWERJOKER-

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What is a good oil temp and a good trans temp to reach before driving the truck? Does it matter?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:41 AM

In the winter time I try and warm the oil up to at least 100F minimum. The odd time if I'm in a hurry I'll drive at about 90F but I'll drive very easy till it warms up more. For the trams temperature I'm not too worried about that as long as it's not too cold.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:18 AM

Idling doesn't do much to really warm up the engine. Your oil and coolant will really warm up quicker if you just start driving. The added boost from the turbo pushed the combustion temps up and result in the engine block, oil and coolant coming to temps faster.

I've watched my gauges and done several test.
I can start the truck, let it idle for 1 minute to get the oil circulating and then drive through my residential area at 25 mpg and be MUCH warmer than if I left the truck to idle for 15 minutes.

These engine produce EGTs of around 300 at idle. Just an easy drive to exit the neighborhood produces 450-500 of EGT. By time I reach the freeway on ramp, my coolant temps is already up to 150-160 vs 10 minutes of idling and my temps are only 80.

The Rapid Heat option produces supplemental heat to the cab when the coolant temps are below 100. Once your coolant reaches 100 the supplemental heat turns off and the heater core just uses the coolant to supply the heat. The Rapid Heat is a 1500 watt heater coil in the heater assembly. It doesn't produce a lot of heat, but will get the windshield defrosted.

I've even done the Fast idle. Setting the idle up to 1100 rpm for 10 minutes still does not get the engine oil or coolant as warm as 5 minutes of normal driving.

Start your engine, give it a minute to get the oil circulating and then just drive in a normal manner. This will warm your engine up faster and is better for the engine than extended idling.
"Stroker 8" and Arhaifa like this.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_270 View Post
Its better to drive your truck when its warm than cold. My truck usually warms up for about half hour before I drive in the winter.
It's better to drive your truck warm than cold. Which is why it's best to get it up to operating temp ASAP.

Idling for half an hour to get to 100* EOT is far worse for the engine than getting it there in two minutes of driving
Arhaifa likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
It's better to drive your truck warm than cold. Which is why it's best to get it up to operating temp ASAP.

Idling for half an hour to get to 100* EOT is far worse for the engine than getting it there in two minutes of driving
True but when its -40 outside without wind, even plugged in your oil is going to be really thick so I like to make sure my oil is gonna be warm enough to flow properly.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I also use a oil pan heater and even when it's -35C the oil pan is just over +20 degrees

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-25-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
I also use a oil pan heater and even when it's -35C the oil pan is just over +20 degrees

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I want one of those . Where did you get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.