Help needed soon - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Help needed soon

I own a 2004 F250 with the 6.0. Its been great but I'm getting the bulletproof done to the egr and the mechanic says sell before more goes wrong. I know all the 6.0's have a terrible rep, the 6.2 not much better so I was lookinh at a 2011 with the 6.7. I'm on the road a lot alone or if I have passengers its kids and horses. I'm starting to hear bad things about the 6.7 too. Is there a decent ford diesel nowadays? Is the 6.7 worth buying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Don't know where you heard so much bad about the 6.7? I think the first year(2011) had some issues but nothing major like the 6.0 or 6.4. I just bought a new 2013. So far, so good. This purchase was made after speaking with many Ford certified diesel mechanics that I know personally. You are going to hear the bad side on forums, along with the good. Stop in your local Ford garage and ask to speak to a diesel mechanic. I think you will find that the vast majority of people will tell you that the 6.7 is a hell of a power plant. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your going threw the expense of bulletproofing and still like your truck Id just hang on to it. 6.0s are pretty good engines when you get rid of the gremlins. Ill have to admit I kind of miss my 6.0 at time but the insane power of the 6.7 helps me to get over that.
Speaking of getting over. People need to forget about these "problems" with the 6.7 What people are talking about for the most part is the first year of cab and chassis trucks. NOT pick ups. These F-450s and up were having valve problems and such. There was a bit of difference the pick ups and cab and chassis trucks believe it or not.
I'm glad to see Ford is making their own engines now and I think will be able to only keep improving on these engines.
I know a man that has around 22 fleet trucks. He has always had Fords and he is happy with the 6.7. Hands down better then anything else ever put in their trucks. Its not normal for one of his trucks to have close to 200k on a new truck in one year. There run around the clock
Old 01-22-2014, 03:44 PM

Really Happy with mine and would not have anything else.... The power these trucks have is amazing...
Old 01-22-2014, 03:48 PM

If your looking for a super reliable 6.7 i wouldnt look at 2011s. Not all '11s had issues but they were the main ones for turbos it seems. 25k on my '11 with zero issues so far.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM

Very happy with mine. I researched all 3 before I chose Ford. I hung around the discussion boards/forums. I read about issues that people had with all 3. I drove all 3. I bought Ford. Why? Well, Ford had to prove itself with this engine. And, it did! Ford has focused on quality in their product, and my truck is no exception.

The sensors in these trucks are probably the weak point (for Duramax and Cummins as well). They all employ DPFs and catalytic systems to meet emissions requirements. Their are two main producers of those sensors - Continental and Bosch. So, it really doesn't matter whether if it's on a Ford, GM or Ram.

I am amazed at the power and fuel efficiency of my F350. It runs strong. I really enjoy driving it. It's very capable. Are Ram and GM too? Yep. I just like the features, quality, power and efficiency of my Ford.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM

My advice is to stop listening to all the hype. Yes the 6.0 had issue's but not to the degree that you have heard. Think about it. Ford has been the number one truck for a long time. They run a different motor and it dosnt go good. What would you do if you were the #2 truck maker or the #3 etc. You would smell blood in the water and attack with a massive attack. And this is what they did. The 6.0 reputation never did recover.
Something else to think about. NASA has the best of the best mechanics in the world working on the space shuttle. And we have lost 2 of them? GrandPa would tell me when I was a kid that "if man built it. It will fail. Its only a matter of time...."
Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 PM

Oh and please don't get me wrong. The 6.4 is a power making monster. And the 6.7 is proving its self to be a great motor. When/if my truck goes away I would be proud to have either one.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I only have 3k miles on my 2013, but it beats my old 6.0 in every category. If you want reliability and more power, get a 6.7 and bulletproof it. By the way, I would also like some instructions on how to bulletproof my 2013. Anyone have advice for doing that? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 PM

[QUOTE=Dantron;7966666]I only have 3k miles on my 2013, but it beats my old 6.0 in every category. If you want reliability and more power, get a 6.7 and bulletproof it. By the way, I would also like some instructions on how to bulletproof my 2013. Anyone have advice for doing that? Thanks![/QUOTE
As soon as you get it paid off in 2020 +/- Im sure BPD will have you covered. But you got your warranty to think of for now.
Take care of that truck cause that's about the time Im gonna be lookin to replace mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.