Check service history? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check service history?

As part of my search for a 2011 or 2012 6.7, I'm wondering if there's a way to check the service history on these vehicles. I suspect it's really easy if I'm looking at a vehicle that's being offered for sale at a Ford dealership, but what if the vehicle is at a Chevy or Dodge dealer? How about a private seller? How can I find the service history on these vehicles without aggravating the crap out of my local Ford service person, with whom I've never spoken?

I love that Ford has a website where you can plug in the VIN and see the original window sticker. Is there something similar for looking up service history? It's more important to me for the '11 models than the '12 models, but I'd still like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 04:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If they had the work done at Ford they should just go and get records/print outs. If they did it on their own (oil changes etc.) then there will be no record unless they kept some receipts.

I have had all maintenance done at Ford and have kept every receipt. It should help a LOT in resale IMO.. The biggest issue with buying used is not sure if maintenance was done. Knowing it was should help a lot.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Cowboy

Have the dealer run an Oasis report for you which will show just about all the work done at a ford dealership.

I have read that in some cases if it is just work that a customer came in and paid for, it might not show up on there. Usually it is only standard maintenance and warranty work.

There is no report or place that will show work done at other types of dealerships that I am aware of. It is basically the same as just a regular shop doing the work, there just isn't a system in place that records all that stuff for you to view, even though that would be awesome.

Your best bet IMO is to find a good dealer that at least has a good amount of vehicles and not some hole in the wall. Have an oasis and carfax report done on the vehicle, check it out thoroughly and read a lot of the forum. I also believe in, especially with trucks 6.0-present, investing in a monitor before you buy. There are plenty of brands that are good and aren't to expensive ($100-200) to atleast get you going without breaking the bank.

Learn all the info you can from the forum and what to check out and monitor with it on the truck to give you the best idea of the health and life of the truck when you go test drive. That small amount of money compared to what you are spending on the truck is more then worth it and I consider it cheap insurance.

Besides that, there really isn't much else you can do besides having your financial situation taken care of with money in savings in case a rainy day hits, which it will sooner or later.

I personally don't see how some people can afford a 20k, 30k, 40k, on up to a brand spanking new truck but yet that is their only vehicle and have a huge ordeal on their hands when something happens to it, it breaks down, won't start, etc. In my opinion there is nothing worse than having to deal with the associated stress and frusturation that comes from that situation. At least if you have another vehicle (not just your wifes car lol) even if it is just a beater car to get you by, this will at least let you get your truck fixed and be able to take your time and make the best decision on how to go about it.

But I digress; off the main subject at hand. Goodluck OP and hope that helps some

Last edited by ZWilson07; 01-22-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 AM

I have access to plenty of other vehicles, so no worries there. And for the used ones that I find at dealerships I'll be sure to have them run the service history. It's the ones being offered by private sellers that I was worried about. It might be worth my peace of mind to just rule out private sellers right off the bat.

My main worry is buying something that has had serious problems in the past. If I found two vehicles, one with 30k miles that had been in for two turbos and new exhaust valves over that mileage, and the other had 75k but had only been in for regularly scheduled maintenance, I'd pick the one with 75k in a heartbeat. Or is that bad thinking?

And I am absolutely requiring of myself to get an extended warranty up to 200k miles, at least for the powertrain. I'll go B2B if it's not a significant increase over the powertrain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.