driving light etiquette - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
driving light etiquette

When do you guys use your driving lights?? I'm gonna loose it if another semi gives me the high beams just as he passes. Other cars don't mind so why the semi's??

I already have my headlights turned down as I was getting flashed by cars when I pull a load.I like driving in winter with my driving lights as I can really see the ice and snow. |I cant wait to get led light bars on to give it back to the semi's!!

If anybody drives a semi please let me know. I drive about 700 miles on a single lane highway (one way) about once a month or so and i'll get at least 5 semis blasting me at the last second!!

Unless i'm the a**hole and don't know it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 07:28 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftdaddy View Post
When do you guys use your driving lights?? I'm gonna loose it if another semi gives me the high beams just as he passes. Other cars don't mind so why the semi's??

I already have my headlights turned down as I was getting flashed by cars when I pull a load.I like driving in winter with my driving lights as I can really see the ice and snow. |I cant wait to get led light bars on to give it back to the semi's!!

If anybody drives a semi please let me know. I drive about 700 miles on a single lane highway (one way) about once a month or so and i'll get at least 5 semis blasting me at the last second!!

Unless i'm the a**hole and don't know it?
Unfortunately, your last statement might be the truest . I drive tractor trailer for work every now and then, and the driving lights on most new trucks are terrible (except for Dodges because they're dull)....it's like they're aimed right at my windshield. If I had to guess, the cars don't mind because your light is aimed high enough it doesn't bother them, but I'll tell you what, up high, IT SUCKS! Especially on a single-lane dual-direction highway.

Final thought for you, I know it sucks being brighted, but don't hit them with an LED bar.....that's just gonna cause blindness and a wreck. Those things are hella bright and if it's aimed up towards the cab, they won't be able to see and that's asking for a wreck to which you'll be liable for
Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I have a big set of yellow driving lights that also have a fog pattern. I have them on my other truck, back in August I was driving home one night and it was raining, and so I normally have my yellows on the fog pattern, cause they brighten up the road a bit. It was around 12am so mostly semis, anyways came up behind one, and got around him. All of a sudden my CB starts making noise, it was the trucker, he was asking me where the hell the fog was? I said there isn't any, I just use them for more light. I asked if they bothered him, he said they blinded the crap outta him. I apologized, told him I had know idea, they were supposed to be pointed toward the ground.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 PM

ok, fair enough. i'll keep the lights off. I looked at the lights and stood on the wifes jeep and did not find them that bad. but I guess I can see a trucker dealing with that day in day out can make it bad. but I still think the real a**holes are the truckers brighting me on the way by. a simple flash will suffice. I quess my biggest problem is that with all the semi's I pass only a small amount do it. its hard to not get mad at cause you know the prick is just waiting to get you. one guy did it to me in a new semi with his led driving lights on and the headlights are not dark either!!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:29 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I guess I am lost here. I drive with my driving lights/fog lights on every single night. I use those more than my headlights. I have never been brighted or anything and I have HIDs in mine. I pass trucks all the time. Hmmm... wonder why its just you and not me?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are we talking about bumper lights?! or roof mounts?

Pics preeeze?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I used to get hi beamed with the HIDs in my headlights, people would think that my high beams were on, when it was my lows.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
hahaha, HIDs with out a projector lens is straight A-hole status.
wvrrcarknocker likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raftdaddy View Post
When do you guys use your driving lights??
Which lights do you have, the stock fog lights or aftermarket lights?

If it's the stock lights, they are "fog" lights and shouldn't blind anyone as long as they are adjusted down properly.

Many people are switching to the led lights now, and they are not "fog" lights, they are "driving lights" which should only be used with your high beams because they do not have a cutoff beam to keep the light at ground level only.

I am just putting this out there because many people think that fog lights and driving lights are the same thing, and they are not.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Why do some of you drive around with your fog lights and headlights on in town when their is no bad weather? I see a lot of guys like that where I am from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.