Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Put flares on a truck running 13.5" wide tires on stock rims?

• Flares

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No Flares

Votes: 10 76.9%

To Flare or Not to flare?

9K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Dantron 
#1 ·
Really torn on this one.

F350 running 325/60R20 Duratracs on stock Platinum rims. These are 13.5" tires, and come to about flush with the side of the truck, little further on the fronts.

Really like the look of the truck, but concerned with rock chips (we drive a lot of gravel and a lot of winter), as well as mirrors and windshields of course. I have stock (275/65R20) duratracs on my 05 F350 Harley, and when the truck is clean you notice the rock chips all down the side of the doors and box. Never happened before i put the duratracs on :( Same goes for the road spray. If driving down a wet road with no-one around I need to run my wipers because of the road spray. Would get flares but... would look ridiculous.

Flares would be Bushwackers, but non-rivot style, the smallest we could get. Just wondering if this is going to look ridiculous with the tires being on stock rims, with flares sticking way too far out.

Neighbor has flares on his Dodge, stock tires, and looks silly from the front and back. Doesn't seem to keep his truck clean either.
Guy at work has a 6.7Ford with flares and stock tires (275/65/20) and it looks really silly. Like he's running his spare tires all round.

What say you?
Thanks,
-Josh

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I've been really torn on this as well. I want/need them but really reluctant based on the looks.

What diameter are your tires? Do you have a lift on your truck?

My tires stick out a good inch and a half past, and after the first week having them, I noticed several rock chips that weren't there previously on my otherwise near mint truck. I saw a lifted truck similar to mine with 37's and it looked great with rivot style flares, just unsure how they would look on my smaller 35's..

#3 ·
flares look great on lifted trucks, but stock or even leveled trucks sometimes look ridiculous with them.

#4 ·
I am running the exact same set up as you and my vote goes against the flares. IMO the truck looks just right with those tires as they are pretty much flush with the side of the truck like you said.

#5 ·
I agree that running stock rims will not look good with flares, unless you are just running the factory flares that are more like a trim piece.

I love having flares on my truck, but I am running 10" wide wheels with quite a bit of offset and 13.5" wide tires.

#6 ·
I actually have some Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender flares being painted at the moment. However, I have a 6 inch lift and 37x13.5x20 tires on 20x10 wheels. My tires stick out about 2 inches from the wheel wells. I think the wheels look fine as is, but I'm wanting to install the flares to add protection and some more body to the truck. I believe the "pocket style" flares extend outward 2 inches and the "extend-a-fender" flares extend outward 1.75 inches. If you're getting the smaller "OEM" style flares, the width will be even less. You can look at some two-tone painted factory Super Duty's with OEM flares already installed to get a better idea of what that will look like. The only truck I've seen that looked silly driving down the road was a stock F-150 with the "pocket style" fender flares. Here is an advertised picture of an F-250 with "extend-a-fender" flares on rather narrow wheels, but the angle is hard to determine if they look good straight on..

http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/photopost/files/1/3/bushwacker_flares_2011_super_duty_2.jpg

Attachments

#7 ·
IMO, I don't like the look on these newer model trucks, they look good on the older model trucks. Now in Dantron's case I would probably get them with the set up he has. And it would still be a hard decision. They seem to scratch up easily and the two on the rear catch all the abuse with you and others leaning over to get things out of the back of the truck. I had a set on my other truck and will never have them again because of that. I had then 4 months and they looked 5 years old. They seem to catch all the scratches. My 2 cents....

#10 ·
I have the flares on mine and like them… now I just bought new wheels and tires because the old set up that came on the truck, the wheels and tires did not stick out further than the flares. now that I have 20x12" rims and 37s, the stance looks great! if going with flares, tires have to stick out further than the flares to look good. if not, the tires look to small for the truck

#12 ·
I recently added Stampede RIDERZ Fender Flares. I did not like the look of the FORD OEM Splash Guards or Mud Flaps. Run plenty of dire and gravel roads here. I still have stock 18" wheels and tires and I like the look of the new Flares.....they are quite similar to stock FORD Flares.
GARY

#14 ·
I went with the pocket style plares with rivets. I like them because they look good on a truck with wide rims. I think that if you have flares, the tires still need to extend past the flare a little. Or else you get the pizza cutter effect. I dont like it IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.