Build Thread--Pure Performance 4" Triple Threat - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Build Thread--Pure Performance 4" Triple Threat

I finished the install on my 13 crew cab long bed today. I had planned on taking a bunch of pics but got busy and forgot. This was an interesting experience but turned out great. A little background. I was planning on only doing a leveling kit with a 5" block. I choose that size block to accommodate for my truck sagging due to the 90 gallons diesel tank and tools i keep in the bed. Infamousconrad hooked me up here.

When the truck had 200 miles I realized the need for airbags. Those were installed when I did my GN. The airbags caused the ride to be terrible unloaded due to the height I had to set the air bag bracket at. My thought was the 5" block would keep me from using the bags as much. Turned out 5 psi is still rough.

I ended up seeing a thread here about the stock Michelin tires cracking. Sure enough I had that too. Michelin was kind enough to foot the bill for some new tires so I ended up going with some cooper sst tek3 in 35/12.5/20. Since I had the bigger tires a lift seemed logical. Here's where the tough decisions came into play.

Carli or Pure Performance. Icon was never really a consideration because they charge a ton and only offer a block in the back? What are they thinking? Then I narrowed it down to the two others. Carli is awesome, and no doubt build some of the best stuff on the market but a few things bugged me. Not anything against them but rubbed me the wrong way. First was the warranty. If I bought it and a vendor gave me a 5% discount, it could void the warranty. Second, I'd want the pin top and awesome stickers but it was to much money! If I won the lottery a carli pintop would be on order!

That brought me to pure. There wasn't a lot out there about them. A few videos here and there and ncsteele and another member showed off their lifts. I was hooked. Began doing a lot of research. Ended up calling pure directly to discuss some questions. They answered them all and offered a great deal. The biggest deciding factor was the fact they would not charge me for the block and ubolts since I had them already (5" from earlier) I was initially going to do the xfactor which is the base lift but since I found out they did a forum discount, the triple threat started looking appealing. It has all the bells and whistles like SS brake lines and a mini pack. I ordered it on a tues and had it all by the next wed. I was planning for a 10 turn around but they were on it. When I opened the boxes like a kid on Christmas I began to get excited and suprises by how heavy and solid everything was. For shocks I was going to do the 5160 bilstein front and 5100s rear. The 5160s were back ordered till next month sometime and so I went with 5100s all the way around. Ajusa.com hooked it up with them I'm 2 days for $270ish I think.

I set a time for today to install at my old neighbors shop. He retired from being a Kubota mechanic so I knew he'd have all tg big stuff! Some things we learned:

The install really isn't bad. Started at 930. Done by 4 with a lunch break.
Only thing not installed is the brake lines. Something isn't right with them. They are routed weird. Might be the wrong ones. Calling tomorrow.
Clamps are your friend when it comes to the mini pack.
I'm thinking we don't use the big honking sway bar extensions and only the drop brackets. Tried using both and there was no way!
It's WAY bigger than I thought it would be.

I didn't get official measurements but I did the rear in the shop. It was at 48" to the bottom of the wheel wheel. Stock is like 41.5". I haven't measure the front yet but will in the morning. This thing looks huge and I'm very happy I went with pure. I'm sure they can get me lined out in the morning about the brake lines and sway bars.

For the pics, you'll have to wait till the morning! I actually think the 35s are almost to small and think 37s would be about right now

The ride home was improved but when doing the track bar I think my wheel got turned to much and it's now upside down and hardly turns to the right. Gotta have that fixed tomorrow at the alignment shop!

I'll post back with the results of the drive and the final verdict but right now I'm thinking this thing is top notch!

Brett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 05:58 PM

Can't wait to see pics. Just ordered the same kit.

Edit: also interested how you contacted Michelin.

Last edited by 5-0stank; 01-21-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM

First pic is the day I brought it home. First thing was to remove the chrome running boards

Next up was tinting the windows and I am at discount tire awaiting new shoes

Here it is with the coopers. I really like them and hope they wear decent.

Brett
Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM

This is as soon as I pulled it out of the shop. Rear way really up there. Don't know why I look so weird with no neck.

Got back from driving about 50 miles and getting it aligned. Muchobettero

Notice the lack of chrome running boards. I disassembled the stock ones and painted them black. I really like the look and am anxious to see how they hold up

The ride has been improved quite a bit. So far I'm loving it and have been getting a ton of compliments. Most people think it's a 6" minimum lift. They are suprsed it's only a 4"

Brett
Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Nice truck and color, lol. Yeah people think my Rough Country 4.5in lift is a 6 too. These trucks are big!
rustyshakelford likes this.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:52 PM

Looks good!! How did you end up with that much rake? Air bags?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelnc View Post
Looks good!! How did you end up with that much rake? Air bags?
Instead if using the 4" block that would come with it I used a 5". I have airbags but they are compressed and just hanging right now. Might take them off. Just depends how it looks under a load. They were great on my dodges but hated them when unloaded on the ford.

Brett
Old 01-21-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
Instead if using the 4" block that would come with it I used a 5". I have airbags but they are compressed and just hanging right now. Might take them off. Just depends how it looks under a load. They were great on my dodges but hated them when unloaded on the ford.

Brett
Gotcha. For some reason I thought I had 5". Just measured and sure enough they are 4".
Old 01-22-2014, 04:47 AM

You and I have pretty much the same truck haha. Mine isn't an fx4 though and I have cab lights. I was worried 35s might be too small too, so I ordered 315 70r18s. 35s look fine in the pictures though. Did you shim the carrier for the driveshaft? Also did you figure out the brake lines? Can't wait for my pp triple threat to arrive! Tires should be in today.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
Carli is awesome, and no doubt build some of the best stuff on the market but a few things bugged me. Not anything against them but rubbed me the wrong way. First was the warranty. If I bought it and a vendor gave me a 5% discount, it could void the warranty. Second, I'd want the pin top and awesome stickers but it was to much money! If I won the lottery a carli pintop would be on order!
Hey Brett,

Sorry that turned you off. We don't play games with our pricing like a lot of companies do (No implication toward Pure, this is more meant toward the fabtech, Rancho, etc.). We find what it takes to build it, factor in a small profit margin for us as the producer and another slice for the dealer and keep our prices as low as possible to make the product more attainable without needing to wait for promotions/sales or call around for a week trying to get the best price. What you see is what you get with us; no artificially inflated pricing.

Just thought i would shed some light on why we do what we do. Regardless, I'm glad you found a kit that suits you and good luck with the rest of your build.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.