2011/2012 - Buy now or wait until summer? And Extended Warranties. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011/2012 - Buy now or wait until summer? And Extended Warranties.

Hi Guys.

So I'm new to Ford vehicles. I've always been a Chevy guy, and my dad and grandfather were both Chevy guys. In fact, until I test drove a 2011 F350 KR last week, I'd never even driven a Ford vehicle, and I'm 37!

I have sworn off gas-powered HD trucks, so I'm in the market for a diesel. Since most of my driving is by myself or with the family, not pulling anything, comfort is a huge deal for me. I can't even imagine spending any amount of time in a new GM vehicle. They look like engineers from Playskool designed the interiors.

I've pretty much settled on a 2011/2012 4x4 CC F250/F350. I can find plenty of used examples in the mid 30's, which is reasonable, but I'm wondering how much you think prices may drop between now and the summer since Ford is supposed to be releasing the new 2015's to dealers in April?

Also, being that this will be my first diesel, I want to make sure that I cover myself for any future costly repairs, and will be looking for an extended warranty. Because I'm looking at 3-4 year old vehicles, what I end up with will most likely start with 70-90k on the odometer, I'm wondering if there are any extended warranty options that will take that out to 150k or even 200k miles. (I know Ford warranties the engine to 100k - I want bumper-to-bumper if possible, but at the very least complete drivetrain out to the aforementioned 150-200k.)

That's it, can't wait for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check out usaa for extended warranty. I haven't heard anything bad about them and you don't have to be a member for the warranty. I got the 100k b2b for 8-900

Brett
Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Honestly, i'm not sure how prices will drop. I would imagine prices would, most guys are buying new trucks.

Extended warranty, it wouldn't hurt depending on price. I bought one for my 2008 last year. Ended up having $2100.00 in work done for the suspension. Right before I traded the truck in I was on a waiting list for a new steering box (on back order through Ford) my extended warranty would have covered that too. In all reality I bought the warranty for the powertrain part. I normally don't buy into these things, but for some reason I did. Glad I did too.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know about U.S prices but in Canada for new non current trucks they allways give a 10,000 discount on current with an additional 7500 for non current. my 12 I got in the spring of 13 and got about 21000 off sticker with a 3.99 intrest rate.but our trucks are stupid expensive up here.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to limp along in my '03 Chevy 2500HD gasser until the summer. I have some repairs to make before I can sell it, and by then my wife's car will be paid off. A leftover new 2012 would be nice, but the budget is going to max out at about $34k. That's what I can afford without financing. I paid off my current ride this year, and I had forgotten how nice it is to *not* have a truck payment...

I do pretty well wrenching on my truck now, but I'm pretty sure a new diesel is a whole 'nother world of cost and complexity, so I'll be looking into USAA and their offerings for service contracts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.